Direct cylinder just to loft bathroom or Indirect Cylinder to whole house?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris101

Reaction score
We are having a loft conversion start in two weeks and are still struggling to find the best solution for getting a well pressured hot water supply to the loft when other bathrooms/ water outlets are in use.

The loft bathroom will be used for occasionally for guests for now and in the future most probably for two of our children.

If we go for an unvented indirect cylinder setup, we would have to cause some considerable damage to our current kitchen flooring and hallway, for the pipes to get to our current combi (33kw), main supply pipe, water softener (under kitchen sink that supplies softened water to all bathrooms and boiler) and then up to the loft.

However if we went for a small direct unvented cylinder to supply the loft bathroom only, we would not need to disrupt the kitchen and could t-off the mains supply in the cellar and run the one 22mm cold feed straight up in the wall to the direct unvented cylinder in the loft. We would have to purchase a separate water softener for the loft but this setup would be for the one bathroom only.

From my understanding the cost of running a direct unvented cylinder is considerably more expensive than an indirect one, however as it will be supplying just the one bathroom, we are thinking this may be the best route to avoid the big disruption if we went for the indirect setup.

Just wanted to ask you all what your thoughts were on the above, if my understanding is correct and if there is any other better way of achieving our required setup?

I'm guessing you are in the UK. I am Un-familiar with the terms you are asking about. I will presume a cylinder is an electric water heater.
You say it will cost more $ to install a second cylinder in the loft than it would to just route new lines from existing cylinder but less destruction of current living space. If you have a single new cold supply to the loft and something happens that you need to do maintenance or isolate the system you can with out disruption to the exiting system. That's a bonus.
It's your wallet

Good guess Mr. David. His IP address comes back to Walthamstow, United Kingdom.

Heck, I thought he was talking about single or double sided locksets for our entry doors. :confused:

Latest posts

Back