Kitchen Reno and Moving a Main Drain Pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annekreel

Reaction score
We are beginning a kitchen renovation and when we opened the wall, we discovered the location of our main drain pipe from the 2nd floor in the spot we want to place our cooktop and vent hood. I am sure you can see the strapping that has been used around the pipes already. My questions are: Can this 3" pipe be moved to the next bay to the left without compromising the integrity of the wall? Would it be expensive to move? If we wanted to let it come down below the header and then 45 it over to the next bay, would that be okay?

The X on the foam board is the center mark for where we want the cooktop placed.

We are beginning a kitchen renovation and when we opened the wall, we discovered the location of our main drain pipe from the 2nd floor in the location we want to place our cooktop and vent hood. I am sure you can see the strapping that has been used around the pipes already. My questions are: Can this 3" pipe be moved to the next bay to the left without compromising the integrity of the wall? Would it be expensive to move? If we wanted to let it come down below the header and then 45 it over to the next bay, would that be okay?

plumbing to be moved.jpg

plumbing.jpg

You can 45 over at the top and then another 45 down and 2 - 45's at the bottom to bring it back over as long as nothing else is in the way. Use 45's and not 90's. Show us how it turned out.

Thanks for the response. Forgive my ignorance,but is this fairly co mmon? might there be a chance the inspector won't approve it?

why wouldn't they approve it. There's no code saying the pipe has to go down straight. Not sure where you live but that's how works in Ohio.

why wouldn't they approve it. There's no code saying the pipe has to go down straight. Not sure where you live but that's how works in Ohio.

I am more concerned about what an inspector might say about the strapping that is being used and whether another cut through the double top plate or 2x4 supports will pose any issues with the structural wall.

Looking at your picture the pipe is in the same space. Don't see any studs. If you have to cut through any plates then that a different story. Better talk to a builder. Or better yet get the inspector your talking about and ask him how he wants you to do it and then you will only have to do it once.

Offsetting the the line is not an issue. Your biggest problems will come when you offset the 3” vertical. The wall will need to be furred out to avoid rolls in the drywall. Also get rid of the fernco fittings on your other 2 verticals.

Latest posts

Back