Sewer line video footage need opinions

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yardley

Reaction score
Hi all, I hired someone to come over today for a sewer line video inspection. We used to have strange odors in the house from time to time (smelled kind of like garbage) and even though it hasn't happened in a while, a recent chemical smell throughout the house prompted me to have the line checked out.

The first 24 feet is all new PVC, the old sewer line starts at the 2:40 mark. You can see that about 2 feet into the old line, there's some weird stuff going on and I'm not quite sure about what it is. I believe the waste line from my upstairs bathroom ties into the sewer line right around that area. At 3:40 I flushed the toilet from my downstairs bathroom and you can see the flow of water continue past the part of the line in question around the 4 minute mark and beyond.

What do you guys think?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvvW9dnzCKI[/ame]

Could it be at the perimeter foundation? The weight of the house collapsed and shifted the pipe?

I would if I could. I'd have to rip out my 100+ years old wood floors.
Around here there is a service that will come and grind through the collapsed part and pull some type of sleeve through the line. I believe they then inflate that sleeve and somehow create a chemical reaction so that the sleeve hardens and becomes the new pipe. I believe it costs about $100 per foot. It saves you from tearing up any patios, floors, driveways, etc. If you are interested, I can try and find a link. I believe it's called something like "pipe shark".

Around here there is a service that will come and grind through the collapsed part and pull some type of sleeve through the line. I believe they then inflate that sleeve and somehow create a chemical reaction so that the sleeve hardens and becomes the new pipe. I believe it costs about $100 per foot. It saves you from tearing up any patios, floors, driveways, etc. If you are interested, I can try and find a link. I believe it's called something like "pipe shark".

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't see how they would be able to do any repairs without ripping out the floor though being that there is a crawl space only a few feet high between the line and my flooring but I'll check them out!

Sorry, I can't see the video for some reason I believe its my system but if you are getting smells in the house have you checked all your floor drains to make sure they have water in them. They will dry out and then they are open to sewer gas. Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't see how they would be able to do any repairs without ripping out the floor though being that there is a crawl space only a few feet high between the line and my flooring but I'll check them out!
As I understand it, they don't have to rip up anything. I am not sure which end they start at, but they can go in just like your camera went in. I think they can also start at the street and work backwards into the house.

Got it, I'll make some calls and see what they tell me. If any of those solutions work for me it would be great. I'm just expecting the worst though since to me it looks like my line has some major damage from the video. Thanks for the help.
From what I understand, they start the process with a grinding head that supposedly grinds right through collapsed pipe, roots,etc. Let us know how you make out. By the way, I am in suburban Philadelphia, as is that company I linked you to, but I would imagine similar companies exist in your area. Good luck!

Does look odd. Are you sure that is under the house. Kind of looks like clay tile pipe. And that is only used outside the house.

I snipped a couple frames to post.

xyz.JPG

xzzz.JPG

Does look odd. Are you sure that is under the house. Kind of looks like clay tile pipe. And that is only used outside the house.

I snipped a couple frames to post.

100%, it's a very old house. The part where the old pipe begins is right under my kitchen floor, it then continues onto my dining room.

Where I live we do a thing called pipe bursting. Pulling a new 4" line through the old. Generally need 2 holes. One at the main and one at the cast iron. Would that be possible to do in this instance? Also, if so and they can pull it and it does go into the crawl space, would just need to make sure of the footing and where it is in terms of the sewer pipe.

Latest posts

Back