Recirc Pump Gasket Repeated Failures

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fx77

Reaction score
Hi
Have AO Smith hot water heater with recirc B & G pump just above the heater.
The gaskets thrice have dried out and ruptured. Basement filled with water
I have been changing the gaskets regularly and the last change was 6/2016 and latest flood was 5 days ago...
Home water pressure is about 80 psi entering the home from the street

I am looking for a commercial grade sealed bearing recirc pump that can be attached to the copper waterlines (there is a shutoff valve on each side of the pump)..This new pump should be able to be fitted with a soldered joint at each end or some kind compression fitting (?); so that I never again have to deal with the gasket problem...

There have been three floods in the basement in 18 years costing thousands in repairs and salvage

Thanks for the professional and best advice.

DSC00307.jpg

have you contacted b+g to see what operating pressures
they are rated for???? 80 psi is a little high normally
there would be a prv dropping the pressure to about 60
psi just a thought

Two answers here ..I changed them June 2016 and another respondent said had not seen a gasket fail in 65 years???

We used Taco pumps on all boiler pump change outs and had no trouble with the gaskets. Sorry not a better answer for you.

B&G pumps used to be fairly good .

Again , what pressure is the pump & gaskets rated for ?

Around here , pumps are rarely used for residental water systems . Commercial , yes .

Wyr
God bless

Problem solved. The pump was Tyco...my error in the post. There is no such pump with sweated joints powerful enough to handle the load of water flow in the system. Pressure is not a problem and PRV was not indicated.
The issue was that there were flanges from a previous B &G pump which years ago had been replaced with a Tyco, and B & G gaskets which were incompatible with the seal necessary for the Tyco side of the pump.
The solution was the replacement of the flanges with Tyco specific flanges, and a Tyco specific gasket.
Thank you for the help

Back