Questions about using pressure washers

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aznman

Reaction score
I have an inexpensive, gas-powered pressure washer that I love very much. Using it in conjunction with a foam canon, I save a gigantic amount of time, energy, and money washing my cars (my family has at least 5 of them).

But then I learned about hydrojetting and realized that I may never experience the joys of it. My 2.5 gpm and 2500 psi (max) pressure washer likely cannot cut through any sizable roots. However, buying a $6,000 (4,000 to 5,000 psi; 8 gpm) hydrojetting machine meant for commercial uses is just a bad idea. I'm not even sure if those hydrojetters can be set to safely wash cars. If I have to maintain two separate machines, buying even a $1,000 dollar hydrojetter is a bad use of money. Guess I have to stick with my pain-in-the-ass but sensibly priced rotor-rooter(no real-maintenance required).

I have two questions for my pressure washer though.

1. If I buy a drain cleaning conversion/extension kit, could my pressure washer reliably knock out grease and indoor-biological materials?

2. If I have blocks just beyond the trap pipe(u-shaped pipe) of -say- bathtubs and sinks, would spraying pressurized water without extensions reliably do anything?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
If not used properly, some pressure washers have the ability to cut holes on PVC, copper and ABS lines. Just wanted to throw out that blanket warning since there are just too many variables to say whether you can or can not use a pressure washer.

Jetters, as we call them, are best left with those trained to use them.

mechanical cable snakes is really all you need to clean kitchen, tubs, showers and sink lines.

even a small jetter can make a big mess if used inside.
For what you are asking, not a good idea and unnecessary.
Jetters are typically used outside.

If you run a one through a building with fixtures, there is a big potential for blowing water out of those fixture and causing a really disgusting mess.

We had a small mini jetter we used to use in commercial kitchen floor drains and floor sinks. it would go through a 2" p-trap. But not very effective for anything larger than 2".

Latest posts

Back