During my new install, I removed one heat trap before I realized what it was

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtnman

Reaction score
Folks:

Like most, learn as you go....so forgive me for making the mistake.

I removed the cold side heat trap on a 2017 AO Smith (50 gal gas) heater. Would folks here recommend I:

1) Contact the manufacture to see if they have a replacement and install?
2) Buy a better quality after market one and install (ball vs. rubber flapper that was on the OEM unit).
3) Leave it as is. The energy savings is negligible.

I honestly don't know if cold side is as or more important as hot side. I do have both pipes insulated 3 feet beyond the heater. The pressure tank on the left was also installed. It is about 1 inch from the vent and I realize, per code, I believe 4 inches needs left between vents and "combustible" materials. I figured such a tank isn't really combustible, but I'm sure it is outside of code. There is only a 1 inch gap between the two. The reason this happened is I moved to a 5 gallon instead of 2 (what was there previous) as my tank is 50 gallon and I'm running around 55 PSI in the home. I will eventually move it (next week).

Anyway, at this point, I'm more concerned with the heat trap on the cold side.

Thanks for your thoughts.

TKH

IMG_2530.jpg

Last edited:
From what I here people like the flapper better than the ball. My service guys say that the ball can break free and cause trouble. I would suggest putting one back in.

Honestly, don't worry to much about it. If it was the type with a ball inside the nipple, I toss those in the trash. Did know they still used those stupid things. I used to have to pull them because they rattled when some one was using the hot water.

Current Bradford White heaters I install have a simple thin neoprene disc with pie slits that allow water flow to pass through.

The traps are designed to reduce conductive heat from migrating up the Hot and cold water lines when the heater is not having any water pulled from it.

5-10 years down the road that heat trap will probably not even be intact any longer any way.

Back