Shower Hot Water Problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henrymcco

Reaction score
I have a problem with the hot water in my guest bathroom shower stall fixture. The fixture is a Danze single-handle unit.

When I turn the shower on, plenty of cold water comes out, no problem. But when I continue to rotate the lever all the way around to the point where the hot water should come out, there is an audible sort of “thunk” in the line and I feel a jolt in the handle; the water volume is reduced probably by 75%, and only cold water comes out.

Our hot water source is a Noritz tankless gas water heater, located on the outside of our house. The discharge temperature is set at 120F.

Since the Noritz tankless system obviously can not select where it is sending the hot water, and every other hot water outlet in the house works fine, I suspect that the problem must be in the Danze fixture. So I replaced the cartridge in the Danze fixture with a new one, but the same problem persists.

Can anyone help me?

Not an expert but I do lots of plumbing in my rentals. A couple of suggestions to help you diagnose the problem.

First, does the hot water work as expected at the vanity sink in this bathroom? Second, if there is a trouble door behind the shower stall, check to make sure that both the hot and cold shutoff valves are fully open. Also, are those valves gate valves (you turn a round handle multiple times to open and close the valve) or are they ball valves (the handle is like a lever and only turns 1/4 turn to open and close the valve). For a ball valve, the lever handle will be parallel with the pipe when the valve is fully open and perpendicular to the pipe when closed.

The other thing to check is to make sure there is no debris in the hot side that feeds into your Danze valve. Remove the new one, and turn on the water supply's to try to blow out any debris that might be in there.

If that doesn't fix the problem, and if you have gate valves (may also be called globe valves ) behind the shower stall, I would suggest replacing those gate valves with ball valves. They now make ball valves with shark bite connections as far as I know. Those are a little expensive, but they save a huge amount of time.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back