Pressure Switch Upgrade?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjohn

Reaction score
The pressure switch on our well system is quite old and I'd like to replace it before it fails. It is a Pro Plumber model PPS3050. Would it be OK to replace this 30/50 switch with a 40/60 switch such as the SquareD 9013FSG2J24? Our house was built in 1992 and has all copper piping (except for the 1/4" tube to the ice maker). But there are several saddle valves and some sort of push-on connectors to the water softener (photo). Would these pose any problems with the increased water pressure? Thanks for your help.

IMG_20180114_154211738.jpg

Most plumbers and well drillers are using solid state pressure switches now and have quite a range of adjustment as well as the mechanical ones you are referencing. If your system leaks at 60 lbs it should be fixed anyway.

Most of those "solid state" pressure switches are replaced with the old mechanical version after just a year or two. Solid state switches are made to sell and no to last, which is why plumbers and pump guys like to sell them. They are really good for repeat business.

If you have a submersible pump it should easily be able to work at 40/60 pressure, and your pipe will be fine. Just get an old style reliable pressure switch and you won't have to worry about it for another 25 years.

I have a few hundred of those "solid state" pressure switches I would like to get rid of. They are in the "discontinued products" section and marked down from 200 to 30 bucks. I got tired of dealing with all the call backs and went back to using the old mechanical pressure switches again. But they are as good or better than any on the market if you want one.
https://cyclestopvalves.com/products/electronic-pressure-switch-1

Latest posts

Back