Shower vent in ceiling

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odynefit

Reaction score
I'm adding a bathroom in my basement. I currently have the roughed in shower drain and vent in the concrete and had it inspected. During the framing process, i'm running the vents. I have a question about running the vent.

I have a vent running from the concrete floor up the wall, then changes to horizontal, then back to vertical to go up to the ceiling (see photo #2). I need to run a vent through the ceiling, either in a soffitt or through the floor joists, and connect to this vent on the wall. The problem is, the horizontal part of the vent is about a foot lower than the ceiling. The first photo shows a side view of the shower and the second photo is of the wall with the vent on it.

Are you allowed to run a vent horizontal (in the ceiling) then down a few inches to meet a vent? It seems like this would be similar to a kitchen island sink vent loop. This is a true vent and not a wet vent, so no water should be passing through it. I believe you can't use a vent tee and point the side end up, so could i use a wye as proposed in the photos? should the wye be pointed the other way so the air flows in the other direction (from the vent to the roof)?

Shower Vent 1.png

Shower Vent 2.png

Last edited:
Thanks. it was a bit more work, but i ran it through the wall.

Latest posts

Back