Can’t snake tub!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fio12701

Reaction score
Hi everybody. Thanks for reading. Trying to snake my completely clogged tub with no luck.

Went through the strainer, hit a brick wall. Removed the lever and went through the back up drain, hit a brick wall. Tried the tips with pushing and rotating and pushing back and forth but nothing.

Whatever I hit is real hard. I thought maybe it was the level piece but that seems to be intact (unless there’s another piece I don’t know about, posted a photo).

Any ideas?

817FB8B2-38D2-4057-BD84-4491582903D4.jpg

Our bathroom drain will clog every 5-8 months or so from all the soap and hair. This will work just fine for me. I would avoid using the snake with bathroom drain. it's not like the kitchen sink. The snake might push the hair deeper into the pipe and making the problem worst.

I would turn on the hot water and allow it to run as you are trying to remove as much hair from the drain as possible first (picture below) and it will drain just fine. I would be careful so i don't turn a simple clog into a major repair job.

----
This video might be helpful to you (they are using the snake)

How to Clear a Clogged Bathtub Drain - This Old House
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWZklniOo_4[/ame]

658e.jpg

DSCF4690.jpg

Last edited:
You absolutely use a snake for bath drains. The snake latches onto the hair so you're able to pull it back out . Your problem most likely as you getting stuck at a change of Direction in the pipe. It can be very tricky but keep at it. if you can't get it with a hand snake maybe go and get a cheap motorized snake or one that you can attach a power drill to

UPDATE:

So, there was a clog. And no, a snake wasn’t getting through it.

This is a first floor bathroom, so the discharge sits in the garage. I looked at it, contemplating snaking up (because it’s exposed) and realized it might not be pitched towards the main stack enough. Sure enough, I guess water was sitting in the elbow and FROZE. I dumped pot after pot of boiling water down and it eventually got through.

UPDATE:

So, there was a clog. And no, a snake wasn’t getting through it.

This is a first floor bathroom, so the discharge sits in the garage. I looked at it, contemplating snaking up (because it’s exposed) and realized it might not be pitched towards the main stack enough. Sure enough, I guess water was sitting in the elbow and FROZE. I dumped pot after pot of boiling water down and it eventually got through.

I glad it worked out for you in the end :) Hot water can work wonders compare to those expensive plumber liquid imo.

Back