bathroom sink hot water stuck

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrcheap

Reaction score
hey i am sure it's a common problem but figured i'd get some help from the community here so i am headed down the right path

long story short my hot water handle started getting tough to turn and now it's stuck and wont move

do i tackle this on top somehow (i dont see a cap to pop out) or do i need to get under the sink to pop the whole assembly out. i took a picture as it's a separate switch from the cold.

thanks!

IMG_0678.jpg

Hard to say, but i am guessing that the nut holding the handle securely to the underside of the sink has loosened. An adjustable crescent wrench as you lay on your back will probably correct the issue in less than a minute.

hmmm thanks for the feedback but maybe you misunderstood the problem

when i attempt to the turn the lever towards me to turn on the hot water, it is literally stuck and will not budge

not sure how tightening anything will solve the problem. i think i need to take this sucker apart and replace some parts (stem, o-rings, not sure)

just need some direction on where to start ( top or bottom and how)

thanks

If not, I believe you pop the top cap, unscrew the phillips down inside it. Unthread the handle, and your top stainless escutcheon should unthread, allowing to wrench off the cartridge. Go to a store, match the cartridge, reinstall the new one, insert the escutcheon, screw in the handle, replace the cap, and you're good to go. Theoretically.

Reactions: SHR
its stuck in the off position

i dont think there is a top to pop off

the handle screws off but i dont think that gets me anywhere

i might have to remove it from below

The cartridge should definitely be accessible from the top. Remove the screw, remove the handle, remove the bell shaped escutcheon by turning it counter clockwise, and then you should be able to remove the valve or the cartridge.

Reactions: SHR
so i tried tackling the job tonight but without success

the whole valve assembly needs to be replaced

it would be great to remove from the top but there's a washer that sits on the valve on top of the table

so even if i was to remove the housing on the top, the valve assembly is still sandwiched to the table by the washer and the nut underneath

the nut underneath is impossible to remove plus its super tight. i was going to use a shower wrench socket but the size is not big enough.

there's also a plastic tool from pfister which is used to install but i can not get enough leverage to remove from the bottom. should i blast this nut with wd-40 and then try again

thanks!

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

There seems to be corrosion on the nut and fixture threads. Maybe a light tap by a small hammer and punch. Careful not to distort it!

I thought I replied to this one?

Split the nut with a drill.
Start small with maybe 1/4" or 3/8" bit, Then larger it needed.
Split it where the notch is. Push the bit at an angle into where the threads meet the valve body valve body. You're not trying to save the valve.

DON'T FORGET EYE PROTECTION

The solution to your problem is ALWAYS repairable from the top, NEVER from below the countertop.

Back