Safety question - gas off with empty water heater?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tplo

Reaction score
Hello - thanks for reading. We are getting a new water heater on Monday. We have an old AO Smith FSG 40 242 gas 40-gallon model that has a small leak (a puddle appears if we're not drawing hot water, and dries up when we do draw hot water). A technician who came out today said there's no way to know if the tank might go, and that it might be smart to shut off the water and gas as a precaution.

My question is, if the tank is empty, it is OK to have the pilot setting on the gas dial? Here's my thinking: we were going to turn off the water to the tank tonight to prevent a flood in case it burst. But I wanted to leave the gas on pilot so that -- if everything is OK tomorrow -- we can turn the water and the whole tank back on (just to have hot water for a few hours). So, is there any risk if we shut off the water -- and the tank bursts and empties overnight -- if we have left the gas setting on pilot? Thanks again.

If the gas is turned to just the pilot position and not full blast, I see no problem with that.

Back