Sewer Ejector Pump Help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessicadavis

Reaction score
I bought my house four years ago. About 6 months after moving in the alarm to my sewer ejector pump (located outside of my house) went off. The plumber came out and said it needed to be cleaned. He told me to stop putting grease down the drain. I don't, but I said ok. Then about 6 months later the alarm went off again. Long story short about a year later, and after many more visits from the plumber, I replaced the sewer ejector pump. Then about 9 months after that the alarm went off again. The plumber said it was a lot of grease stuck to the walls of the basin and the motor. I then changed my body wash, dish detergent, stopped using my garbage disposal and dishwasher. Changed my laundry detergent and use the thin toilet paper. There are only two of us living in this house. But last week on Thanksgiving the alarm went off AGAIN! I don't know where this supposed grease is coming from. I know the common thought is customers lie, but I promise you I'm not lying. I have come out of pocket close to $5000 on this thing. I desperately need to find a solution. What else could be causing this? Any suggestions you can provide would be useful. Thank you so much!

Not sure if you've gotten down to the bottom of this, but if you can answer a few questions, I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Is your entire house on septic? Or is this "Sewage ejector pump" only serving the kitchen and pumping to a regular sanitary drain?

Grease is definitely a problem, pretty much everywhere. Scrape all the plates in the trash, don't flush it down the toilet.

A couple things that come to mind with this situation: a bad float (check for stress at the plug), improper outlet (no cover, stress reliefs are not removed), a lot of antibacterial products being used (defeating the effectiveness of the septic tank). The drain field is a possible issue, but instincts are telling me different.

How big is your pump tank (in gallons, if possible)? What size pump do you have? 1/3hp, 4/10hp, 1/2hp?

the last poster is right grease and solids cause many problems
cleaning of a regular basis will help there is also another
solution to floats there is what they call a transducer
it sits below the sludge and electronically senses the water
level floats physically have to trigger your pump they can get
hung up by paper or float on the sludge on top

Back