Tub faucet leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charrbrad

Reaction score
Hi...my tub faucet has a really bad leak and can unscrew the fronts off the cold and shower handles that reveals a screw...not that I️ know what to do once it’s off. The problem is that I️ can’t get the hot off. The next problem would be what do I️ have to do next to remove it completely so that I️ can replace it? This leak has also caused a leak in the closet downstairs beneath the tub....please help.

40756742-C438-46D1-90BB-49BAB9893A42.jpeg

1A082F5F-F208-4059-95AA-8C04702C44F5.jpg

Step by step
Turn the water off that supplies this tub.
Remove the center "button" with the "H" on it by using a screwdriver.
Remove the screw under that button.
Remove the handle (might be difficult due to corrosion, so may have to use a penetrant spray, and wiggle the handle until it comes off
On the front of the bell shaped chrome escutcheon, there should be a round knurled nut. Unscrew that nut. Sometimes it is attached to the bell, so turning it will remove both.
At this point you need faucet wrenches. You can buy a set at the orange big box for around $10. They look like 4 inch long deep sockets. By trial and error figure out which one will slide on to your valve. Remove the valve and either replace the entire valve, or replace the small rubber washer that is attached to the inside bottom of that valve. Whichever you decide, be sure to bring the valve with you to the store so you get the correct replacements. You may also have to replace the valve seat, which is deep in the opening that the valve came out of. Using your finger, feel that valve seat. If it is rough, you can remove it by using a valve seat wrench. If you replace the seat and the valve, it will operate like a new faucet.

Thank you for replying. Is this the nut that I have to remove?

1B071AF2-D75F-4E02-B7E6-0CC1A4522FAA.jpg

Yes. You would put the faucet wrench over that nut, and turn it counter clockwise. When it comes out, there will be a screw in the end holding a rubber washer to the end of that faucet. The rubber washer will likely be torn up or even missing. That is what needs to be replaced. Also, stick your finger in the hole and feel around the valve seat ( what the rubber washer presses against to seal off the water), to see if it is smooth. If it isn't smooth, replace the seat also.

One more thing I forgot to add. With the stem removed, turn on the water for a couple of seconds to blow out any debris or pieces of the old washer. Be careful, since the water will come out forcefully and likely shoot to the other end of the tub.

Latest posts

Back