Two toilets in a series

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbergen

Reaction score
Hello;
I'd like to move a toilet on our main floor, the new position would put both toilets in line of each other then the stack (toilet, toilet, stack). Can I connect the two toilets together then tie to the stack and if so what are the venting requirements? First toilet is 8' from the stack, the second toilet is 1.5' from the stack.
Thanks.

Hello;
I'd like to move a toilet on our main floor, the new position would put both toilets in line of each other then the stack (toilet, toilet, stack). Can I connect the two toilets together then tie to the stack and if so what are the venting requirements? First toilet is 8' from the stack, the second toilet is 1.5' from the stack.
Thanks.

I need more info, what I need is a picture of what you have and where you want to put the toilet.
there are a dozen different ways to do what you want to do, and each one depends on where th piping is

do you have room to use a fixture fitting? it is a cross, only different

Thank you for the reply frodo.
We presently have a bungalow with two toilets and one stack. The pic shows what we have now, the toilet on the left is going to be removed and a toilet is being added to the right of the stack. The present toilet that connects to the right of the stack will be moved as well but only a couple of inches. The new toilet will be inline with the existing toilet. To save on headroom in the basement I was hoping to run a 3.5" pipe horizontally from the furthest toilet, connect the second toilet to the same 3.5" pipe, then connect to the stack. Is that possible or just plain wrong?
-Mark

vent.jpg

Keep in mind the drawing is not quite to scale, still a bit rough. The stack is in the wall between the two existing toilets and vents directly through the roof.

Floor Plan newest.jpg

Should also add, 'existing toilet' is the one I plan on removing.
This is sort of what I was thinking for connecting the two toilets, if its possible.

plumbing1.jpg

Last edited:
remove what is installed now

install a wye, with a side outlet tee above it
plumb the narest tiolet into the tee, and that 2'' line in the picture [tub] into the side outlet
the wye, point it towards the new toilet. short piece of pipe then a 45 to straighten out
the new toilet will need a vent

Thank you! This was really bugging me. For the new toilet, vent out the back wall (wall behind the toilet) should be fine?

Last edited:
no problem, to raise your head height, you will ned to use that side outlet tee
https://www.zoro.com/mueller-industries-san-tee-with-side-inlet-3-in-x-2-in-hub-02796/i/G2081484/feature-product?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA_US_Hi%20PC%20Non%20Clickers&utm_term=4582283429154791&utm_content=Pipe,%20Valves,%20Fittings&gclid=CMiYrpz0gdcCFVmYxQIdl0sLDw&gclsrc=ds

if you need help just post back, Matt, Mr David, Phishfood, are all experienced plumbers and can also assist with
any questions,

Last edited:
One question, your diagram shows the new sink and tub connecting to the 3" line that runs from the new toilet to the stack. Code here says that toilets must be at the bottom of the stack, sinks, showers, etc. above where the toilets connect to the stack (from the ground up on the stack sh*t first, everything else second). If I connected the new toilet to the stack above the existing toilet would that still be to code in regards to your diagram? Hope that makes sense....

I think, you are talking about a wet vent, the drawing i submited to you is not a wet vent
each fixture has its own vent. the reason i drew it that way is to give you more head room
if it is horizontal wet vented then the line would have to drop in elevation by 6''
so the vent take off can be rolled on top of the waste line

,,,,,.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I did mean wet vent. It makes sense now, thanks again, really appreciate your time.

Are you keeping both of the original toilets and adding a third like the floor plan shows? Frodo's layout is for only 2 toilets.

Just my observation. if you are keeping both but moving one and adding a third. bring the 3rd to stack and connect it with a wye.

vent.jpg

Hi David, we are moving the toilet labeled 'existing' to where the one labeled 'New' is shown. In hindsight I should have labeled that better... my bad.

Thank you for the reply frodo.
We presently have a bungalow with two toilets and one stack. The pic shows what we have now, the toilet on the left is going to be removed and a toilet is being added to the right of the stack. The present toilet that connects to the right of the stack will be moved as well but only a couple of inches. The new toilet will be inline with the existing toilet. To save on headroom in the basement I was hoping to run a 3.5" pipe horizontally from the furthest toilet, connect the second toilet to the same 3.5" pipe, then connect to the stack. Is that possible or just plain wrong?-Mark

Going to back up a bit and answer this question. NO. Just plain wrong.
Was a bit confusing because of the orientation of the floor plan with the photo.

The powder room toilet with sink is being eliminated. The existing 2 sinks and tub is remaining the same. moving original WC a couple inches.

Is the new toilet location also a complete new bathroom with new tub and sink? That group can run horizontal like FRODO shows with each fixture having it's own vent.

I think by your description the new bathroom will be coming in from the same direction as the remaining toilet. From the left on FRODO's drawing.

I'm not familiar with the fitting FRODO posted. It's not used here. That might work. If not just run the 3" horizontal lateral from new bathroom and connect it to the stack with a wye just below the original toilet tee.

But that tee should be a sanitary tee in place of the existing double wye

,,,,,.jpg

Last edited:
Hi David;
Yes, the powder room is being torn out and becoming a small walk in closet. The existing toilet in the original full bathroom will be moving but only a few inches (right now its uncomfortably close to the tub, the sink will be moving as well but again only a few inches).
The bathroom with the new toilet is a completely new bathroom (framing will be completed today, drywall on one side tomorrow all going well).
Yes, going in a straight line from the stack both toilets are inline with each other. I figured running them together was really wrong but figured why not ask :).
Frodo showed the San Tee with a side outlet simply to raise the height as we are planning on finishing the basement. Right now we have a full 8' floor to ceiling so some room to play with.
One question, code here shows that we can vent fixtures to the same vent or back to the stack as long as the connection to the vent/stack is above the highest fixture (in our case the vents would connect to the stack in the attic so well above all fixtures). Would it work to connect the sink and shower vents (both 1 1/2" vents) to the toilet vent (2" vent) then connect the 2" vent to the stack? All vents would connect above the highest fixture (attic).
Thanks again to you and Frodo for you help with this.
-Mark

Back