1/2" NG Line - BTU / WC?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcniedba

Reaction score
I am installing a high-BTU 36" range (made by BlueStar). They "recommend" a 3/4" pipe feeding the unit but allow a 1/2" (which I have). They also have a Water Column recommendation on the line. If my 1/2" line meets the water column recommendation, does it really matter whether it is 1/2" or 3/4"? If so, what will the downside be? (less BTU per burner? or just won't be able to run every element (burner/stove) at the same time?)
Thanks!
Chris

Your volume will be less, alot less with the 1/2" pipe. I plumbed a N/G fireplace with 1/2" black pipe, only to find out that the fireplace would barely light. I had to tear everything out and I replaced with 3/4" pipe, and then it worked. Don't make this same mistake.

Also... is pressure (WC) times pipe size basically the total BTU capacity? If so, the range recommends a WC of 6 coming from the pipe. If that's a WC of 6 from a 3/4" pipe, would that be the same as 9 WC from a 1/2" pipe? It says not to exceed 16 WC so 9 seems within margin. About to have someone perform a WC test so will reply with what the 1/2" comes back with.

Latest posts

Back