Pipe connecting problems for double sink vanity in bathroom

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesAA

Reaction score
Hello. It looks like the J-bend P-trap was put on backwards by the previous homeowner. The taller part of the P-trap should be connected to the "T" connector. Surprisingly it doesn't leak.. When I tried to put it on the correct way, the "T" connector ended up being way too high for the left and right connecting arms. The water would be traveling upwards. I think the previous homeowner put the P-trap on backwards in order for the T connector to be lower. But this could not have been how it was originally designed to work. How can I get around this problem? I can't figure out how it was designed to work. Sorry, I don't know much about plumbing..... please forgive my terminology if it was bad.

Thanks

IMG_3262.jpg

Last edited:
remove the pop up strainer you have installed on both sinks
replace with a grid strainer, \
this will raise the drain up, above the wall inlet

your next option is to cut the wall open and lower the pipe exiting the wall

grid s.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys. Why did the architect of the house design it this way? Shouldn't he have made the wall inlet lower? What is the advantage in a higher wall inlet?

It's not the engineers it's the guys roughing in the plumbing. It depends on the year of the house. In the old days they were roughed in a little higher for various reasons.

House was built in 1958. I have a couple more questions. Will really short hair stubble (from shaving) clog drains? And I've always heard conflicting views on Draino/Luquid Plumber. What's the verdict with these products, useful or damaging? If Draino is bad, is the baking soda and vinegar method effective and safe?

The original configuration was probably a single sink and the 90 and tee added to the distance between trap arm and sink. Just run plenty of water.

I use baking soda and vinegar in all my drains and I do it often. So far so good, knock on wood.

Back