Well tank..a pump cutout failsafe ?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allserene

Reaction score
My water tank is 1990. It looks good but we take vacations and I worry about it failing and the pump filling the basement... Her sister comes to look after the cats so we cant turn the water off when we are away (toilets)..

Is there a type of programmable pressure switch that will cut the pump off at say 20psi, but can then be manually over-ridden to get the pressure up past that ...ie to normal 60 psi ?

Not that I'm aware of.
You can get leak detectors of differing varieties that will turn the pump off when water is sensed where it shouldn't be.

A regular pressure switch with a low limit interrupter will cut power to the pump if pressure drops below 20psi. Thats usually in case of a dry well, not so much a burst pipe since a submersible pump can keep up with that kind of demand.

A regular pressure switch with a low limit interrupter will cut power to the pump if pressure drops below 20psi. Thats usually in case of a dry well, not so much a burst pipe since a submersible pump can keep up with that kind of demand.

I like the sound of that as it would cover my problem AND protect the pump from a dry well situation....The pump is 125 feet down with a 80 foot regular water level, so running dry shouldn't be a problem

I assume the tank is 1990 but I dont know for sure, and the sticker has no manufacturer date or name, but says "date of manufacture is on the bottom " !!!

On the bottom of a 80 gallon tank ? ...great... I have tried googling the model number but no joy... meanwhile the basement floor is running wet from the condensation pouring off the tank. Its 85 F here in Wisconsin with no sun, and so humid that all the water pipes in the basement are wet through and water is pooling on the floor.... Sounds like bad conditions for a galvanized tank. I have a 'through draft' from open ventilators at both ends of the basement..

It doesn't matter how old the tank is if it's galvanized. If you haven't been adding chlorine to it for filtration purposes, it will probably outlast the house. You won't find any numbers on an old galvanized tank anyway. All that was on a paper sticker if at all and with sweat, long gone.

Back