Thermostatic valve and town inspectors

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wang888

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm at the beginning of a bathroom remodel after my shower was leaking into the kitchen below. The people we hired tore out all the old tiles and walls and constructed a new shower pan. My wife also wanted to go from a typical shower system to a thermostatic shower valve. Today the town inspector came in and said that because of the thermostatic shower valve, we will need a shutoff valve for both cold and hot water underneath (with an access panel?). Does this make sense?

There was also a very small opening between the one of the pipes and the wood coming up from below. The inspector wants them to seal it with fireproof caulking.

We aren't sure if the town is just busting out balls or if these are real issues. Please help. Many many thanks in advance.

Chris

yep, you have to have valves for the shower valve. BUT, the make Thermostatic Mixing Valve with Integral Stops
these stops [valves] are accessible behind the face plate of the valve itself.
it saves the unsightly access door below the shower.
as far as fire caulking. it is the building code, not every inspector requires it, but he is correct

in my opinion, firestop in a wood structure is a oxymoron

https://www.ferguson.com/product/kohler-thermostatic-valve-with-integral-volume-control-and-stops-k2976-ks-na/_/A-ProdFamily-106396

i do not know what valve you are using, but, you most likely can get stops from manufacture to install

Back