Clogged Toilet - What are my options

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrFaroohk

Reaction score
Hello all! So a little background here - my house was kind of haphazardly built by someone who generally knows how to build/fix things but isn't particularly good at it. So lots of little things I find going wrong, some are his fault, some aren't, and I fix what I can, BUT I'm not the most handy of guys. If I can figure out the terminology and it's not too complex I can usually figure out a problem with Youtube videos.

My toilet has never ever flushed properly. From even before I moved in I know it's an easy clog toilet. Unless it's 100% liquid, you're gonna have to plunge it. Always been that way.

Lately though, my toilet barely flushes at all. Lots and lots of plunging will eventually make it drain SLOWLY. Usually I have to plunge plunge plunge and it will drain for a few seconds. Eventually it will all drain out, but there's still solid waste down at the bottom of the bowl, and lets just say its gross.

Last time this happened, it was because a bottle of nail polish got stuck in the toilet. I suppose something similar could've happened again, but what I'm worried about is that it could be something more serious. I don't want to spend the day ripping my toilet out of the floor if that's not even the problem.

Some online help has led me to try the dishsoap/hot water treatment, which SORT of helps a little - hot water seems to flush better than cold. Also if it matters, none of my other drains seem to be backed up.

More info - I live in a rural area where the waste just goes outside and underground somewhere. Not connected to a municipal system. I know sometimes a septic system can "die", and I am guilty of occasionally using bleach to clean with, but I don't drench everything in it.

Any ideas? Or do I just need to call a pro and pay lots of money?

If you're in a rural area then you will likely have a septic tank and field lines.
How long have you lived there and when was the last time the septic tank was sucked out?
Do you hear any gurgling in nearby fixtures when you try to flush?

There are many reasons why it could be clogging.
1. As Frodo suggested, could just be a lousy toilet. You can get something like a Toto Entrada that has a 3" flush that is pretty powerful.
2. Your pipes might not be properly sloped and/or vented. If you don't have enough slope on your pipes, gravity won't pull things along. If you don't have proper vents, a vacuum will be created and there won't be air behind the water to allow it to move.
3. The septic tank and/or field lines could be full/clogged.

If it is #3 you will have to have someone come inspect your septic tank and field lines. Hopefully you just need the tank sucked out (but make sure they suck ALL of it out and that they don't leave any solid waste). If the tank is not full, the field lines could be shot. In that case you will have to contact your local dept of health/sanitation to do an inspection and get a permit for new field lines.

I had to replace my field lines a few years ago. I went with Infiltrator Systems segments instead of perforated PVC because it ended up being less expensive in the long run.

Ok here we go:

1 - It's an "American Standard" toilet.

2 - I've lived here 6 years now. The house is maybe 15 years old. As far as I know the septic has never been sucked out.

3 - Vent questions: Could this vent be outside somewhere, and could it be clogged because it's overgrown with weeds and grass and bushes and stuff?

4 - Not really sure if I hear "gurgling" or not, I do hear the water slowly running down through the pipes. Stupid question but do ALL the drains usually go to the same place? Nothing else is getting backed up so it'd seem that if they do all go to the same place, then the septic is fine and it's just the toilet.

5 - God I hope it's just the toilet. I am in NO financial condition to fix anything else. Even something that cost say, 500 dollars would be almost out of the question right now.

Pull the toilet from the floor.
Fill a bucket with water and dump it down the hole the toilet was covering. If it drains no problem its the toilet.
If the water still drains slow there is a clog in your line.

NEW SYMPTOM: during a random flush today, I heard some noise in the pipes, followed by a NORMAL flush, everything went down, and then a then there was a gurgle in the bathtub, and a definitely suction sound and some water came back into the bowl.

Now it's doing slow flushes again, but it goes all the way down, and I can hear water running slowly but steadily through the pipes. However, after it goes all the way down, and the water goes out of side, there's a little suctiony type sound followed by the water coming back into the bowl again.

I realize I need professional help for this lol....but I want an idea of what I'm talking about before I let someone rip me off.

Septic tanks need to be sucked every 5 to 7 years (if not more). If you don't have them sucked out, then the solid mass that doesn't dissolve can clog up the field line pipes.

I had to replace my entire septic system (tank and all) because the tank was insufficient size for the number of rooms (it had been installed before the house was expanded), field lines were done all wrong, and tenants never got the tank sucked in 9 years. It resulted in the sewage backing up and coming out the toilets and flooding the floors. Trust me, you do *not* want that to happen. The sinks and tubs will drain a little better sometimes, but the toilet gives the most trouble. Symptoms of a major clog were the gurgling and toilet not flushing properly.

I will say that American Standard toilets, from my own limited experience, suck. But even a good toilet will still not flush properly if there is a bad clog. You need to snake the drain. You can do this from the toilet or you can do this from an exterior cleanout. You may need to locate your septic tank and see about snaking the cleanouts at the septic tank (I had to to this a few times). Sometimes the pipes are done awkwardly and stuff gets snagged inside or sometimes things get flushed that should not get flushed: Do not flush "flushable wipes". They tend to stay solid and clog things.

TL:DR? Get that septic tank sucked out asap!

Well for what it's worth the clog seems to have moved along. Toilet flushes normally now. Either that or the pipe exploded and it's emptying into the basement.

Are there septics that don't need to be sucked out every few years? It's relatively uncommon around here to be done anyway.

Every septic must be pumped and cleaned. Only alternative would be to move somewhere with a sewer.

Also....you should go check your basement :D

I can not stress enough how important it is to nip it in the bud before the sewer backs up. When ours did, it made everyone in my house very sick and it is a huge stinky mess to clean up.

Contact the local department of health and inquire about the permit for the current septic system so you know what is there and such. They can also give you a list of licensed sewage suckers.

Back