like/hate wall mounted toilets

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superchief

Superchief
Reaction score
I'm a custom builder and want to use wall mounted toilets for a project. I would use the 2x6 version carrier and frame it solid.

Any reasons you don't like them from a _plumbing_ perspective?

Not your average plumber can properly install one.
is this one of those types that the tank is built inside the wall or are you using a flushometer valve instead of a tanked WC?

They look nice with the clean open floor underneath them.
I hate having to reset them.

is this one of those types that the tank is built inside the wall or are you using a flushometer valve instead of a tanked WC?

here is the trick i use, sit on your butt, crossleged set the toilet on your leg
and use it to support the toilet while you get the 2 top nuts started
I set all the toilets in a football stadium,
i got pretty darn good after a dozen

The residential units normally have the frame with the tank inside the wall - I don't know any other type except the commercial style with a Sloan valve, and I never heard of one of those that would be appropriate for a home (e.g.: they are ugly).

I don't know if all bowls are compatible with all manufacturers frames, but Geberit & Toto are on my short list for because they are well priced but seem to work well based upon online feedback.

I looked at the installation videos and it seems easy even if some care is required ... new construction, so opening walls isn't a consideration.

You have to make sure that the carrier is installed level. Had a nightmare a few years back where the carrier was about an 1/8" out of level, and the porcelain was manufactured about an 1/8" out of level. And the homeowner was very discerning.

Thanks, I'll make sure we are dead nuts.

Do you know if all the carriers are equivalent, or are some better made or easier to install then others?

One of the biggest advantages of having a wall-mounted toilet as opposed to the other types is that you will get to save a lot of floor space and they are perfect for small bathrooms! It is the main reason I have chosen wall-mounted toilet! Hope that help you!

when I build something I kind of want it to last forever. Most toilets eventually get replaced/upgraded. But you can usually just bolt a new one onto the old existing flange. Those Geberit tank in wall units don't have a common/universal mounting design. 20 - 30 yrs down the road you're gonna be ripping that thing out of the wall.

The other thing I don't like about them is you have all this plastic hardware and tank inside the wall. You have a problem with the tank you have to rip open the wall.

Another thing is the when you sit on the toilet the weight is transferred to the tile wall at bottom of bowl because it is only a 2 bolt hanger. A commercial mounted bowl is usually 4 bolt. So that wall tile better be solid.

2016-09-26 011.jpg

003.jpg

Last edited:
interesting point on the bolts, I wonder why they would skimp on such a cheap but crucial item, and I wonder if Toto is the same?

maintenance nightmare. I am a plumber and would never think to install one in my home. I see no benefit and huge downside if problems arise, and they always do.

Latest posts

Back