pressure switch

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pansywoodfish

Reaction score
I have a deep well, a pressure switch and a water storage tank. When the pressure drops and the switch closes to start the pump, it never makes it in one try. Sometimes it clicks 15 or 20 times before the connection is made. It shakes--I can hear the knocking at the well head--and this causes the water in the well to be muddied up. Have had two plumbers--first one drained the tank and then let it fill back up and told me it was all right. Switch kept doing the same thing. The second one charged me $230 and told me that he replaced the pressure switch with a new one. The switch did exactly the same thing. When I called him back, he declined to make another visit. This is a small town and not a lot of plumbers available. I don't know what to do. I'm sick of muddy water in the toilet and shower and buying water for kitchen use. Any ideas?

Check and see if the air pressure is charged properly. Drain the tank of water then use a tire gauge in the bladder. You wanna be somewhere around 28psi

Also, make sure that the switch and the tank are close to each other. If they are separated by 5' or more, this can be the problem.

Another thing it could be is a restriction between the tank and the pump with the pressure switch being on the pump side of the restriction. It could be a valve (that shouldn't be there if it is) and someone has almost closed it completely. There should never be any valves between the pump and the tank. Only after the tank. And the switch should be right at the tank.

I wouldn't have the nerve to charge someone that much money to change out a pressure switch and tell them it's fixed. That guy should be reported to someone.

Latest posts

Back