New pressure relief valve stays open

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehousehack

Reaction score
Hi,

Just replaced my electric hot water system. I installed a new pressure relief valve. When I opened the mains and filled the system, it continues to run out past the valve. Any reason it would stay open? I have not connected power yet.

Thanks

What is the water pressure?
It is a pressure activated valve so you have to now what that is.
2nd What is the valve rated for. there is a tag on it that list it's rating.
maybe you have the wrong type of valve or the valve is defective

Thanks.
The valve came with the system.
It is rated at 1000kPa.
I really didn't think the head pressure here was that high, but I'll look into it. Thanks again.

could be defective. did you open it to bleed out the air? Don't do that.
Replace it

NEVER, NEVER EVER, NEVER EVER EVER EVER DONT DO IT<
open the relief valve, sediment will get inbetween the diaphram and you will have to replace the valve
I REPEAT NEVER EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!

GUILTY, GUILTY. and GUILTY
Had a RayPac boiler that unless you popped the T&P after you had the building water shut off, it got air locked. This particular boiler had the flow switch bypassed. I know, don't say it, Not a safe thing to do. A professional boiler contractor maintains this one. Any who, when you try to heat a tube with little water in it, it is sounds like world war III just erupted.
When the T&P dribbles a little to long I just smack the stem on it.
They finally replaced the whole boiler about a year ago.

GUILTY, GUILTY. and GUILTY
Had a RayPac boiler that unless you popped the T&P after you had the building water shut off, it got air locked. This particular boiler had the flow switch bypassed. I know, don't say it, Not a safe thing to do. A professional boiler contractor maintains this one. Any who, when you try to heat a tube with little water in it, it is sounds like world war III just erupted.
When the T&P dribbles a little to long I just smack the stem on it.
They finally replaced the whole boiler about a year ago.

I have done it also, usually beat the valve with my channel locks will stop it
lol...beat it like you caught it stealing

Back