I know it's not done correctly!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxmaninalaska

Reaction score
My first time here. Thank you to all who went ahead of me and created a great forum where people can share information and learn.
I'm probably a little above average DIY guy, but the title of this post says it best; " I know it's not done correctly!"
I'm installing a new shower. This is a picture of the underfouse drain system I installed. Has lots of parts, including 2 cleanouts😉😂😳, but the overall lay out seems incorrect. Can anyone give it a look and see where it needs changing? Thanks

Paul McGuire
Anchorage, AK.

IMG_4103.jpg

IMG_4104.jpg

What makes you above average?

Coming off the shower drain you want to go straight down into a p-trap.
That trap will have a street 90 on the outlet side. that will run any horizontal direction you want. You will then need to connect a vent to that horizontal line.
That's the tricky part. The vent can not be a horizontal connection. It has to be 45 degrees minimum above the horizontal plane.

Oh My God! Really. I have no idea why I said that in my post. I am so sorry. Above Average? The only thing I'm above average at is eating and drinking! Above average? Yea, just take a look at the "plumbing thing I did". It looks like I went to the big box store and grabbed everything I could see, glued it together, and said "hmm, this doesn't look right". No S$%T, Sherlock. Above average? Is that why I'm on the forum in the first place? If I'm so smart, why did I need the forum and why does my "plumbing job" look like something a Rube Goldberg would create.
No, in fact, I am not "Above Average" as a DIY. Once again my apology and now I will embarrassingly slurk off to my cave. :-(

Last edited:
My observation, the floor under the shower loooks to be a 2'' piece of insulation?

what is the fiberglass shower sitting on?
the bottom of the shower HAS TO be sitting in a bed of concrete, to stop the fiberglass from flexing

trap.jpg

trap1.jpg

Last edited:
For the reply and photo showing what needs to happen. I will get this done over. Also, you are absolutely correct about the shower. Except, it's not insulation, it is the bottom of the shower pan you're looking at. 2012 when I was doing this remodel, I suffered a herniated disc in my neck and had to have a fusion surgery. My son was " helping me" while I was in the hospital. Came home to see he had installed and sheetrocked over the whole shower system, but alas, he didn't put anything under the shower pan. Yes, it's true, the fiberglass starting flexing and later it did crack. So I knew i needed to replace the pan.

That job begins after I fix my second plumbing hodgepodge I created. Otherwise, we are out of a shower for an "undetermined" amount of time.

So, if anyone ever asks me, I can say definitively " fiberglass shower pans MUST be supported on a concrete bed.

Thanks so much to everyone for their input.

Paul

Frodo, I just looked again at the picture you commented on. I see what you are referencing. I thought my other shower floor was visible. That you see, must be a reflection of something or a flaw in the picture. This is a pre fab shower pan, installed over new 1/4 " plywood on about 1" sub floor. Then the surface was flattened with self leveling concrete. Then the shower pan was installed using thin set.
Thanks again.

Paul

Latest posts

Back