HELP - Wall Mounted Toilet...Moving

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vfrkids

Reaction score
Hi All,

First post, hoping to get some help to pass along to my contractor.
Geberit 2x4 carrier and Toto wall mount toilet...is moving, along with the wall, enough to crack the grout. Short video (full screen shows it a bit better)

https://youtu.be/jVB3_qHQSGQ

Maybe the carrier, studs and plywood are not completely flush with each other, so that movement is possible?

First experience with this kind of setup for my contractor and plumber, it's just not common where I live.

Contractor is coming back Friday to open up the wall and see what can be done, hoping to get some suggestions here to pass along.

Thanks for any input.
Howard

I was scrolling down the list and found an older post of your wall mounted WC.

That is definitely a problem.

The carrier in the wall is secured properly it should not move at all.
This was the same original carrier and you only replaced the WC or was a new carrier installed?

what is the toilet make and model of the toilet and the carrier if you have it.

Most carries are 4 bolt. the bottom 2 have set nuts and washers that the bowl sets against. The top bolts only get a nut and back washer on one of the bolts.
then the WC is bolted against those 3 back washers.

Or do you have one of those crazy systems where the tank is inside the wall and the carrier is not a conventional wall mount carrier but an integral part of the tank

Like this piece of crap I found at a local car dealer.
It's a Geberit

2016-09-26 012.jpg

2016-09-26 010.jpg

003.jpg

Mine is a Geberit as well but looks slightly different (newer/updated) from that one.

Contractor opened up the bottom half of the wall and saw that the sheetrock was slightly 'bowed' forward, so there was a gap between it and the carrier, allowing the movement shown in the video. The carrier itself was otherwise installed properly and solid to the studs. He replaced the sheetrock in that bowed area with 3/16 steel plate and 1/2" cement board with construction adhesive. No more gaps, it is rock solid, and working great.

Just have to get that other toilet sorted...

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back