Neighborhood Sewer Situation (grinder pumps involved)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aubrowland

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a situation I am hoping to get some advice on. Sorry in advance if I am posting in the wrong place.

Background info: We bought a new construction home in a neighborhood with 12 total planned homes. We were the second home sold. Because of the low lying area, high water table, and distance from a sewer main, each house has a 1/2 hp Zoeller Grinder/sewer pump with a 1 1/2 inch discharge that connects into a privately owned 3 inch main line that runs the length of the entire neighborhood, (around a quarter of a mile) though a the woods under a stream, and eventually into a lift station into the city sewer.

From the first few months we had problems with the main lone clogging with 2 homes on the line. We were told it was because with only two homes the flow was too low to prevent clogs and as more houses were guilt it would improve. 2 years latter and 6 more houses we still have issues, sometimes cause the whole neighborhood to experience sewer outages. Now the developer says its because someone is pouring grease in their drains and thats clogging the mainline.

I also have intermittent problems where my pump will be running but not pumping. The last time this happened I disconnected the pump from the mainline, let in run for about a second, while I was playing with the couplings I noticed some flow coming back up the main line towards my house so I turned the shut off valve and reconnected everything. Then turned the valve again and turned the pump back on. Like magic it worked.

Any advice on what to do both with the overall problem in our neighborhood and my individual problem? Would upgrading to a 1 or 2 hp pump possibly help considering it is a long uphill line with multiple homes?

Latest posts

Back