Will Rid-X help when there is no septic system?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogbngp

Reaction score
We have a plumbing issue in our 3 bedroom ranch home that is on a slab in which we have multiple waste water lines all converging to a single trap to the main sewer waste line: kitchen (double) sink, bathroom sink, bathtub, dishwasher, and washing machine. We had noticed a slight sewer gas smell at times. At first barely noticeable. It was intermittent but progressively grew stronger over time when we did smell it.

And then we finally realized what was wrong when we saw water gushing from the base of the toilet about a year ago. What a plumber told us is that water pressure is backing up from so much waste water, when were running too much water at once. The water did not back up into the tub, which I think would have tipped us off. But in any event, it had gradually eroded the wax seal that the toilet sits on. (See here.)

So we're smelling the odor again, and presumably the issue is the same. I know that it's probably not that big a deal to replace the seal myself. But I think I will pay one more time for a plumber to do it and take notes an exactly what I need to do in order to fix it myself whenever the problem occurs.

I am wondering, though, if it might help to use Rid-X until I replace the wax seal? I know that Rid-X is intended to sit in a septic tank. And in this case there is no septic tank. But perhaps if it does it's thing in the area where the toilet waste water "sits" after the toilet is flushed, maybe it will help improve the problem. I realize I have to replace the seal, but during the times that the problem recurs maybe this will help until I can replace the seal.

Also, is there any type of material for the seal that might hold up better than wax? They can make all sorts of substances these days, so maybe there's something that is pliable but stronger than wax these days?...

I mean, I see this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Toilet-Gasket-Flexible-Waxless-Seal-Universal-Fit-BL01/203564758

and this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidmaster-Better-Than-Wax-Universal-Toilet-Seal-7530P24/205762183

Last edited:
The purpose of RiX is to introduce bacteria in to a septic tank system to help the solid waste break down more over time. It would probably not help your situation.

I'm not a plumber and am just learning more about how plumbing works. If the pressure is building up too much I'm thinking there could be a few issues:
1. Insufficient pipe size
2. Insufficient venting
3. Fixtures tying in to the pipe too close together
4. Improper fittings used for the fixtures when they attach to the main soil pipe.
5. Improper slope to the drain pipes causing things to get stuck
Or a combination of any of the above.

Now, I could be wrong, so I'm hoping one of the pros can weigh in soon.

The real fix is to resolve whatever is causing the blockage/backup/excessive pressure in the drainage system. If in fact it really is backpressure pushing out the wax seal.

Latest posts

Back