shower water pipe joist routing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leolibra77

Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks for taking the time to read this. I started a bathroom remodel. I took out the old shower pan and walls. I saw that the water pipes were coming through the sub floor and in front of the framing. I needed to repair the sub floor by the drain anyway so cut out sub floor to the pipes to see why the builder had done it this way. So by removing the sub floor, I can see an engineered I beam joist right behind the water pipes. Probably poor planning and somebody screwed up. Anyway my question is what needs to be done in order for me to get the water pipes inside the wall framing? I am going to tile the floor using Kerdi tray. Can I notch the top edge portion of beam which sticks out about 1"? The shower is right next to outside wall portion of joist. Any other ideas to consider?
pipes through subfloor.jpg

subfloor removed1.jpg

subfloor removed2.jpg

subfloor removed3.jpg

JJ

The did it that way because of the floor joist below it. The tub concealed it. Have had to do it that way before on new work because the carpenter didn't want to header the joist for free because the builder wouldn't sign a change order

And no you cannot notch. What is on other side of joist

You could also find another way up that's close and just run the piping through the studs. Is there another wall that is for your shower? You could off set below and then run up into that wall and across.

Latest posts

Back