Water damage from upstairs toilet....no longer leaking??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentdark

Reaction score
Moved into a house 3 months ago. Last week I noticed in the downstairs bedroom that there was a stain on the ceiling from apparent water coming from upstairs. Did some measurements and found out that it was directly underneath the upstairs toilet. This upstairs bathroom was completely redone when I moved in. Maybe relevant, but we have a sewer system.

The plumbing is not easily accessible, however I was able to tear out a floorboard in the attic next to the bedroom and removed some insulation to see the toilet drain pipe. Had the lady flush it like 50 times. Ran the shower, and the sinks also. No water.... Also, no visible long term water damage on the wood.

Now here is the part that I am asking for information on, as to what could have happened.

I have a recollection. 3 weeks earlier I was using the upstairs shower and noticed it wasn't draining quite right. I was thinking, okay i'll have to get some Draino or something. Well, halfway through the shower, all the water in the shower instantly drains, a loud gurgle comes from the toilet and I also hear like air noises coming from the sink drains. I ran out of the bathroom and to the basement (idk why) thinking if a pipe burst, that's where it would be. Nothing... So I went up and continued my shower. I didn't think to check that bedroom ceiling under the toilet.

I am speculating that this is when the water damage happened. However, how Is it possible that it spewed out water, and is no longer leaking? Did the toilet re-seat itself? I am thoroughly confused. How can I prevent this from happening again?

More than likely the toilet leaked around the wax ring. It is not uncommon for a toilet to be installed incorrectly with a leak around the wax, that never shows up until the drain clogs and water backs up to the leaky wax ring.

Back