insulated pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soma

Reaction score
Wondering if there is a pipe that can withstand freezing temperatures without using heat tape, etc. We want to run an outdoor water supply line on a mountain that has ledge close to the surface, so the pipe can't be buried too far.

Thanks.

I'm looking for something that would prevent the water from freezing. Like maybe a pipe surrounded by foam, surrounded by pipe?

Wondering if there is a pipe that can withstand freezing temperatures without using heat tape, etc. We want to run an outdoor water supply line on a mountain that has ledge close to the surface, so the pipe can't be buried too far.

Hello soma,

I am a UK based Building Services Engineer - in the UK / Europe there are many products where pipes are manufactured within a `super insulated` flexible duct designed to be buried in a shallow trench for projects similar to yours.

BUT - they also have an `anti freeze cable` / trace heating which is what prevents the pipe from freezing in extreme temperatures.

Although I have never read about a project with a `on a mountain` location - however the UK is a very small in comparison to the U.S. and we have only a few mountains compared to the U.S. - and we have nothing like the cold temperatures that are experienced in some States of the U.S.

I know that you have specified `freezing temperatures` but what would be the predicted lowest temperature that the pipe route area is likely to experience ?

I am sure that similar products are available in the U.S. as there would be far more projects / circumstances where they would be required there than for example here in the UK.

Here is a link to an example of one of those products from a UK Supplier:

https://www.uponor.co.uk/products/local-heat-distribution/cold-water-service.aspx

As Member John has stated - `Heat is required to prevent freezing` so even the `super insulation` [high specification heat loss / cold ingress] buried at a shallow depth would not prevent the pipe from freezing - it would be the `anti freeze cable` / trace heating that would achieve that.

I know that You have stated that you are looking for a solution that does not involve `heat tape` etc. - I am guessing that is because there is not an Electrical supply available - but unless you are able to excavate a trench which is deeper than the Ground Frost level I don`t think that you will be able to guarantee that the pipe will not freeze.

Chris

EDIT: The Company that I posted the link to - Uponor - have a U.S. Company - here is a link to them:

http://www.uponor-usa.com/pre-insulated-pipe/architect-engineer.aspx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back