Pressure doesnt reach cut in pressure, pump always on?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevelev

Reaction score
I noticed the water pressure was low, so I went to the basement and took a look. I pulled the cover off the regulator and noticed that the contacts were always closed indicating that the pump was on. The pressure guage wouldnt get above 30 psi. The regulator is the 40/60 type. The pressure tank air was at 36 psi. When a faucet is opened, we get a couple minutes of OK pressure then pressure just drops to zero, which we can see at the guage. Waiting a few minutes will get us back to 30 psi. What can I do?

I am assuming this is a jet pump... right? Or is it a submersible?
With the jet pump being either shallow or deep well. It could be a plugged jet. With shallow well the jet is on the pump (easy to get to and clean) With a deep well pump the jet is in the well and not easy to get too.

With a submersible pump, chances are you have a leak somewhere in the distribution line between the pump and the outside of the building.

Either way, unless your handy with pumps, you will need to call a professional.

It's a submersible pump, and it was actually installed maybe 5 years ago.

If it was hung on plastic pipe, there could be a split in the pipe or if the pump ran while no water was being used for a short length of time, the pipe can get hot and shrink causing a leak. If it got real hot, one or more of the impellers can be damaged causing low pressure. Unless it turns out to be a leak in the underground pipe from house to well, the pump will have to be pulled to repair.

Is there anything that could be happening on the tank side?

No. The only thing that might be happening up by the tank would be the pressure switch's line being totally plugged up; preventing pressure from getting to the switch telling it to shut the pump off. In which case the impellers would be nuked from the pump running dead head.

Our last pump failed due to sediment clogging the intake of the pump. Do the symptoms seem to fit a sediment problem?

Latest posts

Back