Well Pressure Relief Valve dribbling water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keyreader

Reaction score
The pressure relief valve at my well was running a stream of water, so I replaced it with a new one (75psi). All went well for a day, then I noticed a small stream of water exiting the new pressure relief valve.

I just recently replaced the pressure switch at the storage tank (inside the house). It's factory set for 40-60 psi.

Is it just a matter of having too much pressure in the line? Am I missing something? I have adjusted the pressure switch down to 50psi and still get a small stream of water coming out of the PRT.

The well is uphill from the water tank and pressure switch, and we recently had the well tested for flow. (We are selling the house.) We started having these problems after the well test. (Malfunctioning pressure switch and pressure relief valve.)

How do I stop the dribble out of the pressure relief valve?

Any advice is appreciated.

Signed, Clueless in Corvallis

First make sure the pressure relief is not just doing what it is supposed to do. If the pump shuts off when the pressure gauge is at 60, then the relief valve is the problem. But if the pressure is anywhere close to 75, it should be popping off.

Most pressure relief valves have a cap on top that can be removed. Then you can tighten on the adjustment screw until is stops leaking.

Back