braided steel whiskery black stuff?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justaguy

Reaction score
While visiting my mom, I happened to look under one of her bathroom sinks, and the braided steel supply lines are all covered in whiskery black stuff:

braided_steel.jpg

I've never seen this before, but I want to fix it. Any ideas what's going on and what I can do about it? I'm sure no expert, but it doesn't look or smell like mold (I'll believe you if you tell me it's mold, I just haven't seen anything like this before). No sign of any dampness or water leakage.

Any advice much appreciated!

I believe what you are looking at is a nylon reinforced rubber supply line. Do yourself a big favor and replace it with a new stainless steel supply line because if that nylon looks that bad, you will have an idea how bad the actual rubber hose inside it looks.

I believe what you are looking at is a nylon reinforced rubber supply line. Do yourself a big favor and replace it with a new stainless steel supply line because if that nylon looks that bad, you will have an idea how bad the actual rubber hose inside it looks.
I'm definitely going to follow your advice: it's time to get rid of this stuff and replace it with proper supply lines. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back