SB flexhose

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giwatcher

Reaction score
I need advice from users about whether the 3/4 " SB flex water line with push-on quick connector has a problem with the liner deteriorating and showering debris downstream. I have seen this reported. Have others used such a product and can you comment on its durability? Any info on the difference between braided hose and corrugated hose for water application, such as, a different liner?

In my opinion, SharkBite is to be used as a temporary fix only. Why are you short cutting a good repair?

thanks for the reply. With all due respect, I am one of many who does his own home maintenance and repair, but have never sweated a water line. I am leery about learning on the job, because an unpredictable failure means no water in the house. It appears that SB fittings are approved as code in other countries, even for behind walls. I am trying to find out if the simplicity of the product offends those who are comfortable sweating a water line, or if there is documented product failure of SB that isn't due to user error. I don't think the expected life of copper sweating is forever, although it might seem to be. Is there proof that SB fittings are temporary, which is in conflict with manufacturer's statement, or is it emotional bias against a new product? I have no skin in this game, except a fear of creating a disaster that forces my hand to get a plumber's help if I fail at soldering, or damage adjacent area by heat. Practice before trying won't prove the joint is solid unless it is under pressure. That's why there is a market for such a product. But I also don't want a flood because of SB failure either.
Any objective insight is appreciated.

Last edited:
the Shell/Dupont crimp fittings were legal back in the day also until they started to fail many years later. I believe the same with the Quest pipe and fittings. Its hard to tell with sharkbite if they hold up long term. There are going to be a lot of issues if they dont. Most professionals dont like them because they require zero skill and like stated above i use them as a temp solution.

As far as not having a leak later down the road who knows, only time will tell.

As far as the liner breaking down, I have not personally run across that. I have definitely seen the rubber/neoprene/whattheheckeverthematerialis seals in supply stop valves and the like break down and come apart over time. So I can envision that happening.

But I have seen the SharkByte connections fail. Often enough that I don't trust them as a long term solution.

Latest posts

Back