Pilot Light on water heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timber

Reaction score
The pilot light on my daughters water heater goes out 2 or 3 times per year. I've had a plumber take a look at it but can not find anything wrong.
Any ideas on why a pilot light would go out every 3 - 6 months?
Thanks
Dad

If it's a newer heater with a closed combustion chamber there is a air filter that needs to be replaced or cleaned.

The water heater came with the house that was bought 2 years ago. I've attached the front info plate.

IMG_1177.jpg

That heater is 14 yrs old. If the thermocouple was replaced and still going out, could be a lot of things. Pilot valve inside the thermostat. Check the vent.

Length of vent has to be a minimum of 5Ft from the top of heaters draft hood. Does the vent have a proper cap?

Average life of a heater 8-10 yrs. But I have seen some last 20+.

That heater is 14 yrs old. If the thermocouple was replaced and still going out, could be a lot of things. Pilot valve inside the thermostat. Check the vent.

Length of vent has to be a minimum of 5Ft from the top of heaters draft hood. Does the vent have a proper cap?

Average life of a heater 8-10 yrs. But I have seen some last 20+.

The thermocouple was not replaced. All the plumber did was clean everything said thermocouple was ok.

Here is a photo of pipe. Also the tech at State Water Heaters said to clean the Flame Arrestor

51735114468__376E6D8D-E9AA-4145-8F64-ACF8F18ACE1A.jpg

Latest posts

Back