Opinion needed on tub valve to spout

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wooddude

Reaction score
I am building a home and my plumber recently finished installing the trims in the tub/shower. Water was coming from the shower head when it should have been tub spout only. I've read the threads that a restriction causes this.

If my picture is visible (picture was taken many months ago during rough in), you can see they used CPVC and also put an offset fitting in the line from the valve to spout.

So the showed up today to "fix the problem" and busted a hole in my wall tile [emoji35] [emoji35]. All they did was remove the offset fitting. It is my understanding from reading these threads on this topic that CPVC is a no no here due to I.D. being too small.

I am looking for pro opinions. Will it be OK? Have they removed the problem by just removing the offset fitting? Shouldn't they have known they couldn't put an offset fitting there to begin with?

Would the self respecting plumbers on this forum own up to the error and pay for the wall repair?
5e0623beb1ea9effcca0eef7a9f22690.jpg
70ac9b77b44e773826a6aa373e5ec11b.jpg

They need to replace the line from the valve to the spout with copper.
So why do you suspect they didn't?. Surely they know they should do so and I can't imagine it's a cost issue. Is there any issue with sweating copper in this tight space or this close to valve?

So why do you suspect they didn't?. Surely they know they should do so and I can't imagine it's a cost issue. Is there any issue with sweating copper in this tight space or this close to valve?

I would say they have no idea what there doing. The instructions from Moen say to not use CPVC or Pex on the tub spout. That is not a tight space. Any PLUMBER could solder joints there.

Last edited:
They replaced with copper at my request. Works perfectly now.
bc71877c9d5fc8faf82d0806b0cb1fff.jpg
b628f9f92c0bf69673e35333c51ec3a5.jpg
b427d3a34bfb9e94feb1160f4bfdbe16.jpg

I'm glad to see the repair could be done to your tile work without it looking like a patch job. Nicely done

Back