Can I do this to vent pipe?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edee_em

Reaction score
The vent in this situation is running very near the middle of the wall where I want to place the outlet box for a light fixture. My thought is to 90 the vent to the left (photo's left), 90 it down and then 90 it back to the right once past the location of the light fixture. Another 90 would then get the vent to continue down to the drain. Is this allowed? If not, is there a better solution? Thanks!

PS: Noticed the attached photo is rotated 90* left. The vent is running vertically up through the top plate and running horizontally from there to the master bathroom. The drain and water supplies are/should be at bottom of photo.

ventpipe.jpg

I think I misled. The box I was referring to is a new outlet box for a wall mounted light fixture, not moving the outlet switch shown in the photo. It would be to the left of where the vent pipe is now. I notice you show 4, 45* turns. This is really my question: can I put whatever turns I want in a vent pipe or is there a restriction?

You want to just 90 90 90 90 around outlet box should be no problem . 90s will be easier to put in 45s better or maybe 2 45's and 2 90's

Last edited:
In my area it needs to be 6" above the flood level of the fixture it is serving

Thanks for the heads up CT-18

The detour I'm planning is at the light fixture which will be 80" above the floor. The top part probably will be horizontal and that should happen above the light fixture so say at between 85-90". Then vertical for a bit and then I'll probably 45* it down to vertical again so there won't be any horizontal run below the 80" mark. Is that what you are referring to?

Yes, it is whatever the spill over point of the sink would be plus 6".

Back