Constant water didcharge from tank ?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike62

Reaction score
We have a new (< 2 year ) home water heater and recently I have had to empty a 5 gallon bucket at most every 2 days. Depending when it was last emptied perhaps daily as it approaches 3/4 full.

It always had discharge but it might go 2-3 weeks.

We actually replaced one less than 3 years old as it was discharging but was in the house and I had it moved to the garage and bought a slightly bigger one all to be on safe side.

Our pressure is not that strong and neighbors have not mentioned this same issue. It is electric for a house of 3 doung regular showers, laundry, etc.

The valve has not blown its just discharge via the PVC pipe. Any ideas?

Also, would shutting the water off if we leave for a week help stop the overflow between that and not heating water?

I cringed when I read your post. You are assuming it is just an annoying leak. What it could be is a build up of pressure. Do you know what happens to a house when there is excess pressure in a water heater? KABOOM!

Get it checked out immediately!

I cringed when I read your post. You are assuming it is just an annoying leak. What it could be is a build up of pressure. Do you know what happens to a house when there is excess pressure in a water heater? KABOOM!

Get it checked out immediately!

Our old one sat in the drain pan and would discharge some but nothing to compare and never an overflow.

Seems odd we have another now doing the same only 10 times worse. We never had this issue at our last house and same city water department.

Our plumber put a pressure guage for a few days on outside faucet when we told him about the old WH but it did not seem to be excessive pressure.

Is it a pressure issue or bad WH in those instances?

In the paper on the side of the water heater it will tell you if you have a closed system you need a expansion tank your water meter most likely has a check valve on it

In the paper on the side of the water heater it will tell you if you have a closed system you need a expansion tank your water meter most likely has a check valve on it

It is there I will check. We had used WP before vut this is AO Smith not familuar other than our plumber recommended and I have confidence in him

Latest posts

Back