Question about water softener for the beach (city water)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMikeNC

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

We have hard water at Carolina Beach, NC (city water), I don't have the exact readings with me as I'm currently not at the location. We have 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms with 2 people living in the home. During the weekend and summer 2 kids join us with friends.

Last water quality report from the City - http://www.carolinabeach.org/CCR2015.pdf

I want to treat the hard water issue and also find a way to get good drinking water, we currently use Le Bleu - 5 gallons delivered.

I was going to get the Fleck 5600SXT 48,000 grain water softener off Amazon.

I was reading reviews online that looked great and another company suggested I get this instead, thoughts??

STEP 1: 20 Micron Sediment Pre-Filter - $123
US Water Big Blue Commercial Filter Housing 4.5 x 20 | H-4520

STEP 2: Whole House High Efficiency Water Softener (up to 75% more conservative on water and salt) - $1395
Fusion NLT Professional-Grade High-Efficiency Metered Water Softener
Flow Rate15 GPM

STEP 3: Under-Sink Reverse Osmosis System (for drinking water and cooking) - $339

Just looking to get the best water softener to treat the whole home and get drinking water out of the kitchen faucet.

Any suggestions??

Filters don't generally soften the water. Do you have sediment issues?

Filters don't generally soften the water. Do you have sediment issues?

I think you missed the entire post, the large filter is to flush anything out before it gets to the water softener.

I don't see where she missed anything. You said you wanted soft water. Filters do not soften water. If you have sediment that you need to filter out, you should complain to your water provider. If you want soft water, go with your first choice from amazon. It's a very good unit. The only softener I am aware of that needs a pre filter is the Kinetico which is non electric and depends on water flow to make it work. One little fleck of dirt in that head and it quits working. All the others can handle sediment just fine.

Back