Caulk Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addisonm06

Reaction score
I can feel a bit of water/moisture behind the caulk where the red circle is at. I verified that the valves themselves are not leaking (via access panel behind shower). Is it possible that the water is getting into the track somehow and being forced down the track behind the wall panel and sitting on the drain pan lip?

Also, i keep reading mixed reviews so i need some help. The blue line indicates caulk that is ran between the drain pan and the glass walls. I keep reading to only caulk where the walls meet the pan; not where any of the glass pieces meet the pan.

I never noticed any weep holes on this neo angle shower; but is it possible that the reason i have slight water behind the red circle is because of the caulk that is between the glass pieces and the pan?

Possibly water is getting into the metal frame and cannot leave from the frame (due to the blue caulk line)... so it just travels behind the plastic wall on the pan lip? Basically the caulk is causing the water no exit when it enters somewhere through the gold frame so it travels wherever?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

IMG_5722 (002).jpg

if the weep holes are plugged the water will leak out on the ends like yours is

have you looked on the outside of the track ?

the weep holes should be inside the shower. unles someone installed the track backward and they are on the outside

if you are not seeing weep holes they were covered with caulk

Interesting. I have never noticed a single weep hole on the inside or the outside. Is it possible that this model/type of neo angle shower does not have weep holes?

Would you suggest removing the caulk from the inside and the outside to see if i can find a weep hole?

I just feel lost/frustrated removing and re-caulking so often. I pretty confident i have never noticed any weep holes. Do you know where the weep holes would be? Under the door frame ect...

If I recall correctly, I had a neo-angle shower a few years ago at my other house and only remember using clear silicone on the outside of the glass, because there are water channels that allow the water to properly drain down and away from the inside door track.

@havasu

I assume you are stating not to use any caulk on the blue line representation on the image i posted? Only where the wall meets the drip pan; not where glass meets the drip pain correct?

Are you stating that my assumption of removing the caulk on the inside door track might be the solution so water can naturally drain out? Again, i am positive there are no weep holes on the inside of the track; ive taken the caulk out and re-caulked so many times i took special attention to notice there are no weep holes on the inside.

@havasu

I assume you are stating not to use any caulk on the blue line representation on the image i posted? Only where the wall meets the drip pan; not where glass meets the drip pain correct?

Are you stating that my assumption of removing the caulk on the inside door track might be the solution so water can naturally drain out? Again, i am positive there are no weep holes on the inside of the track; ive taken the caulk out and re-caulked so many times i took special attention to notice there are no weep holes on the inside.

If this also had a natural water channel, wouldnt that require weep holes to drain?

Yes, the clear silicone ONLY goes on the outside area of the glass, and nothing on the inside of the glass. Get that stuff off the inside, clear all the channels, and I'm sure it will work better for you.

Reactions: SHR
Ill give it a shot and report back! Thanks for the suggestions and help!

Just a little overview. When you have clear silicone on the outside, and caulk on the inside, it allows water to become trapped where it will develop mold. I personally believe you have two problems with your shower. I would also recommend removing the caulk on the shower walls, LET IT DRY, apply new caulk, and leave it alone for 24 hours before use.

I recaulked the shower walls not to long ago, so I think the wall are ok. But I will remove the inner caulk that is between the pan and glass track.

If you don't mind, I will provide you a few more tips on these type of showers. If you have a ceiling fan (exhaust vent) for moisture/humidity, make sure you use it. The sooner that shower dries, the less moisture problems and mold you will deal with.

When applying caulk between the pan and wall, make sure it is scrubbed clean and dry before adding new caulk. Make sure you use color match caulk, and for a clean, straight line, use the blue painter's tape. place it 1/8th of an inch below where you are caulking, and another line of tape 1/8th of an inch above where you are caulking. Apply the caulk, push in tight with your finger, and feather down to the tape edge. I use my spit onto my finger to smooth the caulking. Once you have a nice, consistent caulk line, simply pull the painter's tape away from your caulk line, then let it dry for a full 24 hours without anyone disturbing it.

These little tips will give you a professional looking edge and give you years of maintenance free use.

on some shower tracks, the weep hole is located on the bottom of the track on others it is on the inside edge of the track
if you caulk the track inside the shower you block the drain from the weep hole
you only caulk the outer edge of the track

2017-04-22_2258.png

Makes complete sense!!! I don't have a shower fan in this bathroom yet but we do squeegee and spray shower cleaner after every use. I cleared out all the caulk from the inside of the track as best as I could. I did take not that while removing the caulk the was water behind it; obviously it is getting trapped there.

I did my best to remove the caulk that got under the track by running a razor blade (not to sharp) under the trap. So I am fairly confident I removed most of what I could. I recaulked the inside where the wall meets the pan with 100% he silicone that matches the wall color. That is drying now and will have 24hr cure around 5. I didn't use painters tape, ensured a good press, and it turned out well.

Frodo,
Thank you for the diagram and explanation!! Definitely helps! One question, in your image, the weep holes are in the corner where the glass and walls meet. I was under the impression to caulk up/down where the glass meets the wall frame, that would also be at the location of the end of the inside track. Is that still ok and the case as water will still release through the bottom of the track where I removed the caulk?

I cannot believe how much more helpful this site is than others... I have posted on 3 different blogs and received little to know help; some that really didn't make sense. Thank you everyone on here for truly being supportive and knowledgeable, makes a tromebdous differenfe!

just to update:

I tested the shower yesterday for the first time since removing the caulk from the inside track. It seemed to have been tromendously better; as water did not seem to be trapped any more. I did not notice any signs of water behind my red circle in the image on page 1. There was very very minimal water under the track; but i assume that is either moisture of just what did not drain down and has yet to dry. Definitely not enough to worry about.

My question is: in the photo here; in the black area, you should caulk under where the side track meets the glass correct? The side track mount go all the way down to the shower curb and the track butts up to it. I would assume a small caulk line at the bottom of the side track (that attaches the glass to the wall) should suffice right?

IMG_5722.jpg

Just a follow up; I removed all caulk from the inside track. Going on about 2 weeks and no issues. Seems to be draining properly and solved the problem... for now :) Thanks for all the help!

Latest posts

Back