150' Main question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonemiles

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this Q.
Let's say we have a 1" city water tap with 100 psi at tap. Then 150'ft. run to house with 10% uphill grade.
What pipe would we need for the least amount of loss in psi and GPM?
We have a 18 GPM tub deck faucet with 3/4" flex tubing line to it. We are trying to ensure 18 GPM at tub.
Builders plumber w/ 25 years exp. claims he doesn't know the answer. Is why we are asking you.
Thank you

It depends on what kind of pipe you use. But friction loss for Sch 40 PVC is a good rule of thumb. You would have 8.6 PSI loss per 100' for a total of 12.9 PSI loss in 1" pipe. With 1 1/4" the total would be about 4 PSI loss, and with 1 1/2" pipe you would only lose about 1 PSI.

There is nothing the pipe can do to make up for the elevation loss. You will lose 1 PSI for every 2.31' of elevation from point A to point B. The best you can do is install larger pipe so you lose less to friction loss.

When elevation and friction loss combined cause more loss than you want, a booster pump is needed to increase the lift or pressure.

Thank you valveman.
It would seem that 1" tap at city connection then 1.5" pvc with least friction loss is the answer. Which pipe would have the least resistance?
House has 3/4" flex tubing running to filter system that reduces another 5-6 before traveling another 60 ft. to tub. So total run from city tap would be about 275'.
Elevation is about 20 ft. rise including run through attic. Yes, the contractor/plumber didn't run correct line under slab foundation. He later came back and ran 3/4" flex through attic to tub.
The attic run with 9' ceilings may have cost us another 20 psi.
All other plumbing runs through Manoblock.
Thanks

3/4" flex tubing with crimp connectors they are using in new home construction now days.
Not sure of material but white in color.

I'm not a Plumber, that's why I ask, I'm not familiar with all the new piping and their fittings. I do know some pipe is physically smaller than their cousins. Like PVC has a much larger ID than CPVC. This all adds to your friction loss.

A run up to the attic doesn't cost anything if you bring it back down to the tub. The part that goes down with counter act the part that goes up.

Latest posts

Back