Water Heater Replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorembo

Reaction score
My house currently has two water heaters: a 40 gallon on one side of the house for the laundry and an outdoor shower and an 80 gallon that was originally connected to a roof solar water heater panel, but was disconnected and just heats using the element inside the water heater now.

My big concern is that the 80 gallon water heater is 10+ years old and in the middle of my house and has no leak pan so if a leak happens, the water will go all over the center of our house. The floors are all terrazzo but that still seems like it would be a mess.

I am not sure if that is something I should worry about or not but am thinking of either:
1. Removing the 80 gallon and just hooking into the 40 gallon for the whole house. It is around 60 feet from the 40 gallon tank to the farthest shower. BTW, the prior owner moved the hot water pipes from the slab to the attic.
2. Trying to put a drain pan in for the 80 gallon heater. I am not sure how this would even be done.
3. Converting over to an electric tankless.

Or should I just smile and not worry too much about it.

Average life of tank is 8-10 yrs. I have seen plenty last 20+ yrs and some only 2-3 yrs.
Replace the tank. Why do you need an 80 G tank?
Like you said you could tie the hot to other tank and put in a recirculating system. That way you can get rid of the tank in the house.

If you live in south Florida the average life span of a heater on city water is about 10 years
Electric tankless is a bad idea for a few reasons and is sounds like you have a larger house than 2500 square feet so only one 40 gallon heater might be to small

I don't think our hot water usage is really that much (there are two of us but sometimes we have our kids home). I have never heard of a recirculating system. That sounds like it might work.

Back