Brass to ABS Tub Drain Seal Leaking

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm updating my bathroom with a new tub and am looking for input on what to use to seal the junction shown in attached image.

The existing ABS drain has female threads that got pretty jacked up when removing the old brass drain. It seems like they used some sort of adhesive to make their connection.

I attempted (shown in the image) to use PTFE tape but it didn't work too well - i have a leak at the threads.

My question is simply, what adhesive/sealant should i apply to the brass threads of the new drain assembly before threading it in to guarantee a good seal?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Keevin S.

IMG_0585.jpg

unscrew the female adapter, discard the female adapter

install a 1.5'' trap adapter, [male] and screw the brass tailpiece that came with the drain back into the bottom of that tee [use pipe dope not tape]

then install the waste and overflow with the tailpiece in the trap adapter

dtt2181.jpg

Reactions: SHR
unscrew the female adapter, discard the female adapter

install a 1.5'' trap adapter, [male] and screw the brass tailpiece that came with the drain back into the bottom of that tee [use pipe dope not tape]

then install the waste and overflow with the tailpiece in the trap adapter

Thanks for the info! So should the female abs adapter that is on there now just unscrew? Or is there a chance it is bonded to the trap with glue? If that's the case I suppose I'll have to replace a larger chunk of abs drain pipe, correct?

Latest posts

Back