Replacing 7" deep kitchen sink to 8"

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bymitten11

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'll be replacing my existing kitchen sink when a much nicer one soon. The only problem is, the new one is 1" deeper.

(see attached photo) Is it a simple matter of shortening the vertical pipe that extends from each sink strainer by an inch? Or is there another way this should be taken care of?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

IMG_20170417_113556.jpg

Just use shorter strainers and you won't have to touch the drainage at all as long as your spacing is the same

Just use shorter strainers and you won't have to touch the drainage at all as long as your spacing is the same

Oh. That seems a lot simpler! I didn't know you could get different size ones. Too bad the sink comes with strainers then ... unless they're the correct length.

Are you referring to the actually strainer itself, the metal part or the pipe that attaches under it?

When you install new sink, lift dishwasher drain so it won't be backing up.

If I cut where you've indicated, wouldn't I need to put two trap adaptors under each sink (see attached pic)? Maybe this is what you meant by "no excess play"? I put another trap adapter (I think that's one - I Googled it) to show there wouldn't be room, even before the deeper sink is in.

Sorry, I'm probably frustrating the heck out of everyone. I'm a novice (clearly! lol) at this and I'm just trying to fully understand it before I start ripping the sink out. I appreciate the drawings on the picture. :)

Sink Configuration.jpg

As soon as I submitted my response, I had an "ah ha!" moment and I think I figured out what you mean.

I photoshopped what I think the drains/sink would look like with your suggestion of cutting at the blue line (like you illustrated) and adding a new trap adapter.

See attached pic .... am I correct??

Sink Configuration 2.jpg

Just wanted to post that I installed my new sink and faucet using Frodo's advice and everything works! Thanks Frodo and everyone else for your advise. :D

Latest posts

Back