Removing Cast from Hub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmi

Reaction score
I've removed cast before but this situation is a bit different. One main stack to supply both halves of a duplex. Top of stack is two elbows feeding into one vertical pipe so removing the entire thing isn't possible.
Right out of the elbow is a cast fitting with two smaller copper drains going into the sides, so simply cutting the cast and using a fernco coupling isnt possible (joints are too close to hub), so I need to remove the cast from the elbow.
If I cut the pipe flush with the rim of the elbow is there a flexible coupling that can go around the hub rim? Seems to be about 5 3/4 " in diameter.
Second method of course is to remove the pipe, lead and oakum and use a donut. I'm just scared-crapless about possibly cracking the elbow which would a nightmare.
Suggestions, comments, shared experiences welcome

Last edited:
If you are not comfortable i would hire someone who is. Posting pictures may be helpful.

Uncomfortable, yeah a bit, but if I shied away from everything I was initially uncomfortable with, I'd never do anything.

Top of stack is two elbows feeding into one vertical pipe
Right out of the elbow is a cast fitting with two smaller copper drains going into the sides.

Your terminology is hard to picture. Maybe you're over thinking it, so a picture would help a lot.

Latest posts

Back