No hub cast iron Imperfect vent connection

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

branimal

Reaction score
I am working in a tight space and connected my vent with a slightly imperfect connection. My imperfect I mean it's a little kinked. I could another piece of 1 1/2" pipe w/ my angle grinder but is it worth it? I'm little worried because it's right by my wye.

726f763ef869bed89f5d1651171f0854.jpg

5bb15dd2e07ca4ac65125569b4cbb2c4.jpg

3db25081b4826e75833ce668c7dd3ebb.jpg

Try a Fernco rubber coupling with SS bands. More flexible.

2nd picture is a leak.

NO...you can not

3002-150.jpg
the proflex is for joining different types of pipe
shielded coupling with internal stop

C581.jpg

the fernco can not be used to on no hub pipe, it lacks the internal stop
see appendix I UPS
huh.jpg

the shielded no hub band is used on no hub cast iron
it has the internal stop

Last edited:
Reactions: SHR
2nd picture is a leak.

NO...you can not

View attachment 14692
the proflex is for joining different types of pipe
shielded coupling with internal stop

View attachment 14693

the fernco can not be used to on no hub pipe, it lacks the internal stop
see appendix I UPS
View attachment 14694

the shielded no hub band is used on no hub cast iron
it has the internal stop

Frodo, should I use the proflex coupling or go back and cut a better matching angle on my straight pipe?

83eed08c563c486c1bf34ca1547dd85d.jpg

something is crooked, you need to find out what is crooked and fix it.

that 2nd picture, that band is a leaker, no bout a doubt it

Yeah it's connecting at a weird angle. It's a vent pipe. I'm gonna cut a new straight run pipe at an angle or maybe cut a fitting to make smoother transition.

Yeah it's connecting at a weird angle. It's a vent pipe. I'm gonna cut a new straight run pipe at an angle or maybe cut a fitting to make smoother transition.

The weird angle came from rotating 1/4 bend (90) to line up your trap where you wanted it. Re pipe using bends to connect to vent and connect trap using wye and 1/8 bend (45).
If you don't have enough lateral room for that see if you have enough vertical room to install a sanitary tee for the trap and rotate the 1/4 bend 45 deg using 1/8 bend to line up with vent. Visually check out and measure how this effects where your trap has to go.

The weird angle came from rotating 1/4 bend (90) to line up your trap where you wanted it. Re pipe using bends to connect to vent and connect trap using wye and 1/8 bend (45).
If you don't have enough lateral room for that see if you have enough vertical room to install a sanitary tee for the trap and rotate the 1/4 bend 45 deg using 1/8 bend to line up with vent. Visually check out and measure how this effects where your trap has to go.

If you don't have enough lateral room for that see if you have enough vertical room to install a sanitary tee for the trap and rotate the 1/4 bend 45 deg using 1/8 bend to line up with vent. Visually check out and measure how this effects where your trap has to go

If you don't have enough lateral room for that see if you have enough vertical room to install a sanitary tee for the trap and rotate the 1/4 bend 45 deg using 1/8 bend to line up with vent. Visually check out and measure how this effects where your trap has to go

So you're saying

1. set up the vent run first
2. Then try connecting the trap to the wye and then the wye to an 1/8 bend ?

that fitting on the wye, take it out and instal an 1/8 bend [45]

then you will have an ''H'' fitting. then roll they H fitting up.

install a pipe onto the h fitting, if you need to offset to your vent,

i, use 2 , 1/6 bends to roll the offset to match the angle

I have cut 1/4 bends to make my own fittings a few times, it can be done, you must grind the letters on the side off so the band will seal

I use black swan, when I start making ****, saves a headache..i understand it is ''only a vent''

you do not want sewer smell leaking into the house, your bathroom will always smell like someone farted lol

also...you are going to love this

your trap is to close to the vent, you have to have a minimum of 3'' pipe inbetween the wye and that trap

it is called a crown vent what you have and is illegal

so..bathroomgroupsplumb1.png

83eed08c563c486c1bf34ca1547dd85d (1).jpg

Last edited:
Frodo your drawing was helpful. Thanks. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

I've got the same crown vent style installed for my tub. Gotta fix that as well. See below.

c5f4cffd717ce2ccd2a3e081f432caf5.jpg

Got the shower kinked vent line fixed.

But I couldn't quite get the tub ptrap lined up with the 1/8th bend. Do I need a 1/6th or 1/5th bend? Charlotte allegedly makes 'em.

74db87492913696954a1af7c8cf6454c.jpg

61f1fe95118e717e32a17ffa914d5605.jpg

4545e66aae39fbe4c8a75b4eb1770f20.jpg

Frodo, you don't think a 1/6th bend will do the job? I'm not sure I can make that cut...

Isn't this trap for the tub that's going to be 12" off the wall? If so trap should be where continuos waste and overflow can slip straight into it with the adaptor fredo showed you earlier. That will give you more room to modify piping.

Called the alleged best plumbing shop in the city - they don't have 1/6 bends. Looks like I'll be cutting.

Latest posts

Back