Old corroded drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry90

Reaction score
After removing the pvc coupling from the old drain pipe, the underside disintegrated. I was going to try and blow torch it to see if I can remove the pipe and replace it. Not much room to work with so close to the wall. Any suggestions as to whether you think this would work is appreciated. Pipe is 1 1/4" soldered into the larger pipe. Thanks!

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

I thought this was a DIY forum or maybe i'm just impatient for some assistance, haha. I called a professional, so will see what he does with this mess.

A lot of what your saying doesnt make sense. You removed pvc but need to take a torch to what is left. To me i would take a torch to DWV copper not pvc. The picture isnt really clear at what it is either. Is it copper or pvc

I'm guessing plastic tubular was connected to the copper dwv with one of those gray rubber couplings.

PVC was connected to the last extension of metal pipe you see in the pic. The metal pipe corroded on the underside and disintegrated. It doesn't look like copper to me but it was shoved into the larger piece and soldered into it. I just wanted to heat it up to remove the broken piece and go from there, maybe solder in a new piece of 1.25" copper but wasn't sure if that would work.

Is that an 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" reducer. To me it looks like cooper or brass piping because of the wall thickness. Maybe try cleaning that piping up so you can see what you are working with.

Latest posts

Back