Wet sink in basement above grade.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dantheman86

Reaction score
Hello, first of all thanks in advance for the help. I'm looking to tap into the main sewer line from the kitchen sink in the upstairs of a split level home. I would like to add a wet sink to the basement which is technically above grade. Can someone tell me what I should do here? I'm guessing I can't tap into the clean out as shown in the picture? I'm thinking I have to cut, add a wye and also do a vent all the way upto where the kitchen sink vents. Please tell me if I have an easier way to do this. Thanks.

IMG_3951.jpg

Thanks for the reply. No pump just gravity. The sink will be bar height and I am well above the sewer level.

You can connect to the clean out. Just go full size so you can leave another full size clean out. Something like a 3" x 2" wye with the clean out off the end of the wye.

You can connect to the clean out. Just go full size so you can leave another full size clean out. Something like a 3" x 2" wye with the clean out off the end of the wye.

You can physically connect to the Cleanout.
but by code you CAN NOT connect to that cleanout,
all drainaige fittings shall be directional type fittings,
and a tapped clean out like you have in your picture is not a directional type fitting.

you must cut the stack, and install a sanitary tee down as low as you can get it
WHY SO LOW...because sink drain max height is 19'' for a counter sink and for a 4 leg laundry sink it is 12''

you will need to buy 2 proflex cast iron x plastic shielded bands

call your local building department, and ask the plumbing inspector if the auto vents are legal in your town

bathroomgroupsplumb1.jpg

i recomend you cut the cast iron with a cut off wheel and grinder
at 2'' above the floor.
a band takes up 1'' so you have 1'' play

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back