Recirculation plumbing question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlgobeavs

Reaction score
When we built our house about 8 years ago, I had the plumber run the line to install a recirculating pump in the future.

Fast forward 8 years, and I am now ready to install this pump. My question stems from the two pipe runs that extend from the wall above the water heater. I would have expected one line running from the furthest point... instead I have two??!

My only guess is that since I have two distinct areas of the house that currently get hot water, he ran two supply lines back to the tank.

Obviously I haven't been able to get ahold of him to clear up the mystery.

Thoughts or ideas??

You can see the two nipples extending from the wall in the attached picture.
img_1037-420.jpg

turn off the valve at the water meter, open a few faucets and drain the system
close the valves you opened to drain the system.
cut the 2 nipples that are sticking out of the wall, install a ball valve on each pipe.

go to the farthest bathroom and open the valve on the lav sink..hot side
blow compresed air thru the pipe..what happens ?
do the same on the other nipple

when you verify that the pipe does in fact go to one bathroom and the other goes to a different bathroom

pipe it like this

basement bathroom 1.jpg

img_1037-420.jpg

Last edited:
If you install checks on the vertical like Frodo laid out make sure they are spring checks and not your typical swing checks.

Don't over size the pump.

Make sure if you use a spring check that it is rated for higher temps.

good catch Mr David
Sheplumber, I was not aware there are different temp chek valves
i learned sumin'

They make some that are rated for steam etc higher temps. I am kind of funny using them on hot water. I just think it would wear the rubber out quicker.

Thanks to all for the advice! It seems from the responses, that you agree with my assessment that I have two different return lines coming back to my water heater.

Does anyone have some advice on a quality recirc pump to use?

All that is needed is one check valve at the bottom of heater below the circulator. The two ball valves you have where the two lines join are necessary so you can balance the two return lines.

Back