Pipes rattling when water is turned on

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gasketmaker

Reaction score
Hoping that someone can help with a frustrating problem. I have a small house, built on a concrete slab, so all the plumbing is in the attic and walls. I've replaced the PB tubing with PEX over the years, and have never had the pipes rattle when the water is running at any faucet or commode.
Two months ago, I had a leak at the clothes washer, and replaced the last of the PB in the walls with PEX, and have had the noise ever since. I've tried turning the water off at the main, draining all the pipes best that I could, and turning the water on at one location at a time (starting with the both the closest and farthest to the main. The noise runs along the whole length of the main, including the wall where it enters the house.
Thanks very much in advance for any assistance.

Last edited:
I can think of a few things that may be causing it. First being the pipes not secured properly. If it happens when the water is turned on and off it could be a condition of water hammer which would require the installation of water hammer arresters. The only other thing I can think of is if there is something stuck in the line/lines which is causing turbulence as the water runs through it.

Washing machine solenoid valves are popular water hammer creators try arrest its on the valves

Thanks very much for the replies! I've realized that the title I used is misleading but I can't change it. The rattling occurs whenever the water is running from a faucet, bath, or commode, not just when it is turned on. Would water hammer from the washer act like that? And would it affect every faucet/valve?

I found a video on Youtube that is similar to my situation, although a bit worse. It happens at about one minute into the video: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTqKQu5camA[/ame]

He says that he eliminated the problem by turning off the water, and draining it from the lowest point in the house. I have several on the same level, and have tried it with each of them, but no luck.

Some air chambers will get water logged, so draining system down and refilling them with air helps.

Thanks again for the replies!

A couple of questions:

Pardon my ignorance, but would air chambers installed at the washing machine stop the rattling when one of the kitchen or bath faucets was turned on, or a toilet flush?

After 28 years in this house, why would the pipes suddenly need more strapping?

The guy on Youtube said that draining his lines stopped the noise, but so far that hasn't worked for me. Have I not found the perfect combination of which to turn on first/last?

One more clue: If a faucet is running and a toilet flushed, the noise stops until one of them is turned off.

Thanks again

A couple of questions:

Pardon my ignorance, but would air chambers installed at the washing machine stop the rattling when one of the kitchen or bath faucets was turned on, or a toilet flush?

The guy on Youtube said that draining his lines stopped the noise, but so far that hasn't worked for me. Have I not found the perfect combination of which to turn on first/last?

One more clue: If a faucet is running and a toilet flushed, the noise stops until one of them is turned off.

Thanks again
Everyone is a different situation. It isnt always as easy as hey this is happening so smack this fitting with your left hand and everything is fine. You may need to get boots on the ground

in my opinion the problem with banging/rattling/ is due to plastic piping

and lack of strapping. plastic pipe needs to be strapped every 24'' anything farther apart than that will be prone to that section thumping the board

just my opinion. use copper

A couple of questions:

Thanks again

Suggestions are made to the best of our knowledge with facts given. It is now up to you to try all, some, or none of them. Figure out a starting point then eliminate from there.

Thanks again for the replies.

I had noticed that I could hear the noise at the main as it comes into the house. That had me wondering how far upstream I could hear it, so I dug up around the main on my side of the meter. I could hear and feel it right there, where there was a shut-off, backflow preventer, and pressure regulator. Since they were all at least 20 years old, I replaced them and the noise is gone. :)

More than likely it is a gasket in one of your valves. It doesn't necessarily have to be the one being used. Change all the gaskets and that should solve your issue.

Gasket Maker has the answer.

The pressure regulator is located between the water meter and the house and may be buried. Mine rattled the pipe/house so bad dishes in the cupboard rattled severely. A leak developed near the regulator or we would not have found it. Even the contractor who built the house, a neighbor, had forgot where it was. It was 40 feet from the house.

Water flowing thru the regulator will cause it to oscillate but not necessarily all the time. Your house is old enough that it the regulator should be replaced anyway as a matter of good ongoing maintenance.

Latest posts

Back